Flowers for Algernon

by Daniel Keyes | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
ISBN: 015603008x Global Overview for this book
Registered by bookwormess of Kotka, Kymenlaakso / Kymmenedalen Finland on 7/16/2018
Journal Entry 1 by bookwormess from Kotka, Kymenlaakso / Kymmenedalen Finland on Monday, July 16, 2018
"Charlie Gordon is about to embark upon an unprecedented journey. Born with an unusually low IQ, he has been chosen as the perfect subject for an experimental surgery that researchers hope will increase his intelligence - a procedure that has already been highly successful when tested on a lab mouse named Algernon.
As the treatment takes effect, Charlie's intelligence expands until it surpasses that of the doctors who engineered his metamorphosis. The experiment appears to be a scientific breakthrough of paramount importances, until Algernon suddenly deteriorates. Will the same happen to Charlie?"

Paperback, 311 pages.

Journal Entry 2 by bookwormess at Kotka, Kymenlaakso / Kymmenedalen Finland on Monday, July 16, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (7/17/2018 UTC) at Kotka, Kymenlaakso / Kymmenedalen Finland

The book will travel to the winner of the Mail a Garden Sweepstakes. Enjoy!

***********************
Congratulations, you've found a book I've released in the wild. It's yours now - you can keep it, give to someone you know or release it back in the wild. Thank you for letting me know you've found it! If you want, you're welcome to join Bookcrossing.com. :)

Journal Entry 3 by wingmcsarwing at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Sunday, September 30, 2018
Wow, this one has a long journey. It has arrived safe and sound now. Thanks for the pick. I read this a long time ago and have a fond memory. I'd love to read it again before I set it free.

---------------------------------
Updated December 20, 2018

I loved the book the second time round. It is still moving even though I know what will happen.

---------------
Reserved for One Book a Month December 2018.

Journal Entry 4 by wingmcsarwing at One Book a Month, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, January 08, 2019

Released 9 mos ago (1/8/2019 UTC) at One Book a Month, RABCK -- Controlled Releases

On its way to daffidil-2 as my December 2018 offer for One Book a Month on the RABCK forum.

Journal Entry 5 by wingdaffodil-2wing at North Walsham, Norfolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 26, 2019
Received in the post today all the way from Canada from Mscar as a RABCK. Thank you very much. This looks like my kind of book and I'm really looking forward to reading it. I will try and fit in into one of Plum-Crazy's monthly themes asap. (See under Book Talk in the Forum). Also in the parcel was a postcard and BC label. Thanks again Mscar.

Journal Entry 6 by wingdaffodil-2wing at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 16, 2019
REVIEW:- "Well, what a very thought-provoking book this is. I empathised with it on so many levels and I felt there would be parallels in most peoples lives when interacting with people of different intelligence and perception from yourself. A lot depends on our reactions and treatment of others and we don't all perform well in this.
I was struck by the way different people reacted to the changes in Charlie and shocked by the bad reactions, even of people who understood what was going on in his brain. Others who were ignorant of the reasons for his metamorphosis at least had some excuse.
I was struck by the line (a quote from Charlie)"How strange it is that people of honest feelings and sensibility who would not take advantage of a man born without arms or legs or eyes-how such people think nothing of abusing a man born with low intelligence."
It was ironic what happened to Charlie's mother years after she had abandoned him and very sad that the Professors and scientists who had experimented on him didn't feel obliged to take care of him once the experiment had ended.
I feel that this story will stay with me for a long time and I was still thinking about it and analysing it long after I finished it. I thought the book was very well researched and well-written and some of it went slightly over my head when Charlie was at his peak, but I'm sure this was intended by the author. I would certainly look for other titles by Daniel Keyes."

Journal Entry 7 by wingdaffodil-2wing at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Thursday, May 02, 2019

Released 5 mos ago (5/3/2019 UTC) at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom

This book will be sent by mail to 4evagreen as part of the wishlist tag game.

To the finder:-

to place on their shelves and discard the rest-so another bad release option.

Journal Entry 8 by 4evagreen at Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 07, 2019
Returned from a weekend in Cornwall to find this waiting for me. Thanks for sharing I look forward to reading it.