Oranges are Not the Only Fruit

by Jeanette Winterson | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by stephen-1702 of Leuven, Vlaams-Brabant / Brabant Flamant Belgium on 4/1/2004
Journal Entry 1 by stephen-1702 from Leuven, Vlaams-Brabant / Brabant Flamant Belgium on Thursday, April 01, 2004
I really truly fell in love with this book.

Journal Entry 2 by stephen-1702 at Post office in Trade, A Trade -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, April 20, 2004
Release planned for Thursday, April 22, 2004 at Post office in Trade, A Trade Controlled Releases.

on its way to fellow BookCrosser

Journal Entry 3 by harmaja from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, April 29, 2004
Received. Many thanks!

I've read this book before and I enjoyed it immensely! I'm going to read it once more before writing some thoughts about it here. (I want my impressions to be fresh!) For now I'll just say it's a wonderful book.

Journal Entry 4 by vi0let from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, May 12, 2004
Got this at the meeting last night. Candy80 was also interested, and of course harmaja wants this back for a re-read. Thanks!

Journal Entry 5 by CandyDarling from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, June 08, 2004
Got this from vi0let today, we decided that I'm going to read it before her.

********************

Read this book in Swedish in March 2018, and liked it a lot. :)

Journal Entry 6 by CandyDarling at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (8/9/2011 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

I'm releasing this book at the Helsinki BookCrossing-meeting.

Journal Entry 7 by winghippoleinwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, August 09, 2011
Book came with my home to be read, looking forward to it.
Just wondering if it's now supposed to get back to harmaja some day or not...

Journal Entry 8 by winghippoleinwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, November 29, 2011
Wonderful introduction by the author (don't forget to read it, like I almost did as I tend to skip all introductions that are longer than one page...)

The book itself is very well written, with parts of other stories incorporated in the main plot, so that you get a new insight on the things that have been happening or will happen. For me the end came a bit too soon, would have loved to read more about the family. The figure of the mother and the daughter come out well, set behind the local background but also the contrast between the two (as the daughter grows up) makes it a very good read.
Made me realise I should re-read a few books of the Old Testament as you do need some idea about the books to get the full idea behind the titles of the chapters.

Journal Entry 9 by winghippoleinwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (11/29/2011 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

--------------------------
The BC-Sint (Sinterklaas in Belgium and the Netherlands) requested this book to surprise someone.

Journal Entry 10 by wingbloedengelwing at Turnhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Friday, December 09, 2011
Wow, thank you Sinterklaas, for this wishlistbook ! I'll read it and pass it on quickly !
I really, really loved your package. That little kitten you handcrafted for me is sooooo beautiful ! I placed it in a neat place in my cupboard, so that my children (who'll wreck about anything) can't touch it , and it is accompanied by books and behind glass for all visitors of my house to admire.
My husband asked what I sent for the exchange, because he knows I am not a true artist as you are :-) (so I admitted buying a gift for my exchange partner) but handmade is so much more special.
And it's so nice black 'n purple and cat-like and a little goth, yep , toch wel ;)
Thank you !!!!!!!!

Journal Entry 11 by wingbloedengelwing at Turnhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Saturday, January 07, 2012
I really loved this. It's a bit of a Rita Mae Brown style-kind of book and I love her books too.
I'm 100 % positive this was not my last Winterson.
This book will travel to someone I tagged with it in the wishlisttaggame shortly !

Journal Entry 12 by saskiasosmile at Whitby, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, January 16, 2012
Thanks bloedengel for sending me this book in the tag game. After reading what others before me have written in their journals, I know I should not wait too long to get to it.

Thanks also for the surprise book that came along with it!

Journal Entry 13 by saskiasosmile at Whitby, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, August 13, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (8/13/2012 UTC) at Whitby, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

I have read this book and now it is going to travel again.
To Greenbadger!

Journal Entry 14 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Sunday, August 19, 2012
Sent this as a book swap by saskiasosmile - thank you very much!

The story of a girl growing up in an extremely religious (Pentacostal) community. Her mother, a pillar of this community, is the dominant figure in her life and is training her to be a preacher. Her peculiar childhood and mother leave her unable to fit in at school and in the outside world, but on discovering her romantic feelings for other girls she is no longer able to fit in at home either, in a house where sex is considered an enemy. In the introduction this is described as a novel but the heroine is called Jeanette so I wonder to what extent it is autobiographical - I suspect quite a lot (wikipedia confirms that it is semi-autobiographical). Told in a roundabout way with parts of the story just alluded to, the style is clever but not contrived.

“Everyone who tells a story tells it differently, just to remind us that everybody sees it differently. Some people say there are true things to be found, some people say all kinds of things can be proved. I don't believe them. The only thing for certain is how complicated it all is, like string full of knots. It's all there but hard to find the beginning and impossible to fathom the end. The best you can do is admire the cat's cradle, and maybe knot it up a bit more.”

Journal Entry 15 by winggreenbadgerwing at Kings Langley, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, February 04, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (2/4/2013 UTC) at Kings Langley, Hertfordshire United Kingdom

Sent to pam99 who has chosen this from Alphabet VBB round 4. Enjoy the book! :)

Journal Entry 16 by pam99 at Troon, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, February 07, 2013
and it arrived very quickly indeed - thank you so much! Really looking forward to this one and I've put it in my bag even though I've got a book I'm halfway through and another book lined up in there already (no wonder my bag is heavy - however I do have to go to Edinburgh and back today and tomorrow, which is 2 hours' reading time each way...)

Journal Entry 17 by pam99 at Troon, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, February 10, 2013
read this book in one sitting and loved it - touching, moving and laugh out loud funny in places.

apparently I also read it as a BC book in 2005, but I've no recollection of this! http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/1661406/

Journal Entry 18 by pam99 at Troon, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, September 01, 2013
this went in my bookbox and I'm really surprised there have been no takers... perhaps everyone had read it before! I'm sure it's on lots of wishlists so I'll RABCK it as a surprise perhaps...

Journal Entry 19 by pam99 at gretna outlet village in Gretna, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, October 07, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (10/6/2013 UTC) at gretna outlet village in Gretna, Scotland United Kingdom

Welcome to Bookcrossing! This is a friendly online community of book-lovers who want to share books and promote literacy around the world. Please leave a comment to say where you found the book and if you read it, what you thought of it. If you choose to join the site, you can follow the book as it travels on and finds more readers!

When you've read the book, it's yours to do with as you please - you can keep it, pass it on to friends or family, or "wild release" it again to find new readers!