A Train in Winter: An Extraordinary Story of Women, Friendship, and Resistance in Occupied France (The Resistance Trilogy)

by Caroline Moorehead | History | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingNancyNovawing of Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on 7/8/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingNancyNovawing from Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, July 08, 2018
from the North Wales Train Station

Journal Entry 2 by wingNancyNovawing at ~ RABCK ~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Monday, August 12, 2019

Released 7 mos ago (8/12/2019 UTC) at ~ RABCK ~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by wingResQgeekwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Sunday, August 18, 2019
Arrived in the mail yesterday. I'm adding it to my TBR mountain range. Thank you!

Journal Entry 4 by wingResQgeekwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Wednesday, December 11, 2019
In January 1943, a train filled with 230 French women departed France for an unknown destination. These women were members of the French resistance, or at least accused of being such, and their destination was not disclosed as part of an intentional policy to try to intimidate others who might try to resist German occupation of France. At the end of the war, only 49 of these women had survived to return to France. This book tells the story of these women.

The first part of the book details the activities of these women prior to their capture by the Germans, how they opposed German occupation is ways small and large. These women came from a range of backgrounds, but once captured, they began to forge a bond of friendship that would be fundamental to their survival at the brutal hands of their captors.

The second half of the book tells to horrific tale of what happened to these women after that train departed. They were taken to Birkenau, at Auschwitz, where they endured brutal treatment, starvation rations, and inhuman conditions. The descriptions of this ordeal are graphic and difficult to read, but serve as part of the damning record of some of the worst abuses ever perpetrated by people against other people. That any of these women survived is an absolute miracle and a testament to the indomitable human will to survive.

While these 230 women are an insignificant portion of the overall human carnage wrought by the Nazi killing apparatus, this does not diminish the importance of this book. With its detailed account of the lives and deaths of these women, it fills in gaps in the greater account of this evil.

Journal Entry 5 by wingResQgeekwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Saturday, January 18, 2020

Released 2 mos ago (1/18/2020 UTC) at Rockville, Maryland USA

This book will be available at today's BC-in-DC meeting.

======================

DEAR FINDER,

I hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 6 by authorauthor at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Friday, January 24, 2020
I picked this one up at the meeting because I've been wanting to read it -- completely forgetting that I'd already ordered a copy. I'll release this one soon.

Journal Entry 7 by authorauthor at Virginia Crossings Hotel & Conf Center in Glen Allen, Virginia USA on Saturday, January 25, 2020

Released 2 mos ago (1/25/2020 UTC) at Virginia Crossings Hotel & Conf Center in Glen Allen, Virginia USA

On a table in the lobby of the Madison Bujlding (Conference Center).

********************************

Welcome to BookCrossing!

If you pass it on to someone or leave it "in the wild" for someone else to find, please make another journal entry or release notes here to explain that it's traveling to find another home.

You can remain anonymous on the website or join BookCrossing. Joining is free, safe, and spam-free and you'll get an e-mail every time a new person finds this book and logs in on the site to say so. You'll be able to watch it move around and find out where it's been and what other readers thought of it.

I hope you enjoy the book. Happy reading!