World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War

by Max Brooks | Horror |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 6/30/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, June 30, 2018
I found this softcover, signed by the author, in this Little Free Library in Hancock NH while dropping off some books of my own. I'm always glad of another release copy of this one!

The book is set up as a history of a global zombie apocalypse, recounted after the fact via a number of interviews and reports from people around the world, organized roughly chronologically to show the first scattered reports and the differences in response time across the globe. Some characters appear throughout the book, giving their viewpoints on the effects of the war on their areas. The framing device is that this is meant to be a personal look at the war, an accompaniment to an often-referenced official UN report, with some views that contradict the official version of events.

There's plenty of drama in the zombie-uprising incidents alone, but the book adds layers involving the best and worst plans for prevention, cure, defense, propaganda, and suppression proposed by governments and military, with some of the most effective solutions resulting in some pretty grim, totalitarian regimes...

Overall, it's a mix of riveting adventure, stark horror, heart-wrenching tragedy, impressive heroism - and the feel of a real global catastrophe. And the variety of characters is impressive too, from traumatized children to tough combat veterans to scientists to scapegoats. I enjoyed this book very much indeed; recommended!

[There's a 2013 film loosely based on the book, but it departs dramatically from both the style of the book and the nature of the zombie plague; I can't say I cared for it. On a more positive note, I found an audiobook version with a large cast of narrators performing the many different sections; it's abridged, but not as badly as it might be, and I enjoyed it very much. Oh, and this TV Tropes page on the book may be of interest, but beware of spoilers!]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, 214 Main St. in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, June 30, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (7/1/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, 214 Main St. in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left the book in the Little Free Library on this very warm day, before going to check out the preparations for this afternoon's Pride Festival. Hope the finder enjoys the book!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Movie release challenge. ***