Dark Side of the Mind

by Toddy Matthy | Science Fiction & Fantasy | This book has not been rated.
Registered by emmejo of Cortland, New York USA on 6/28/2018
Journal Entry 1 by emmejo from Cortland, New York USA on Thursday, June 28, 2018
I bought this signed book at Eternal Con a few years ago, but can't seem to get into it. I just don't care for the author's writing style. I found it too choppy and simplistic, with not enough world building to make the plots convincing.

Hopefully it will be the next reader's cup of tea.

Journal Entry 2 by emmejo at Trumansburg, New York USA on Friday, September 21, 2018

Released 6 mos ago (9/21/2018 UTC) at Trumansburg, New York USA

One of the books starting out in The Anthology Assortment Bookbox

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, October 10, 2018
I'm claiming this con-special from the anthology bookbox; it contains two of the author's works, "The Ice Queen" and "The Skull King".

Later: The stories aren't bad, though the author could have used an editor; there were several instances of "it's" instead of "its", some repetitive descriptions - and, in both stories, an apparent lapse of memory regarding the hair color of a protagonist {wry grin}. In the first, Selene's hair starts out dark brown and a few pages later becomes raven; in the second, the love-interest's hair is auburn, until it's golden. Minor, yeah, but these are very short stories and such lapses tend to stand out.

The first tale deals with spirits-of-the-seasons, and a setup that promises to involve friendship-vs-romance plot points - but the author pulls some switches that I appreciated, though it was done in a rather sketchy style. And it's certainly the case that the characters didn't get enough depth. I'd call it a decent fairy-tale-for-younger-readers, though it does have a pretty bleak ending!

The second story's shorter (though it's also in a much smaller font, so it's not as much shorter as I'd expected!), and has quite a different tone: evil monarch faces uprising led by mysterious figure who turns out to be the unwilling queen's long-lost love. While things work out overall, there's a very sad ending for the protagonists - the author seems to like the dark side, hence the title of the collection...

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Heritage Rail Trail in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, October 11, 2018

Released 5 mos ago (10/11/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, Heritage Rail Trail in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library on this rainy day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***