Eight chambers of the heart

Registered by wingvioloncellixwing of on 6/23/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingvioloncellixwing from not specified, not specified not specified on Saturday, June 23, 2018
I received this book from my friend Astrid in Nijmegen, who was pruning her book collection.

Today, a lovely BookCrosser is passing away: hema-verf (her BookCrossing alias). Her many friends among the Dutch BookCrossing community are very sad and thinking about hema-verf today.

Els (her real name) has a very big heart, befitting to the title of this book of poems, "Eight chambers of the Heart" by Marge Piercy. Hema-verf used to have a beautiful bookcase in her garden from which everyone could pick. Many refugees at the nearby refugee center found books to read in hema-verf's bookcase.
(See p. 11 of http://docplayer.nl/47448641-Wijkblad-brakkenstein.html , in Dutch)

Here is a fragment of a poem by Marge Piercy to commemorate hema-verf, or, by her real name, Els:

A strong woman

A strong woman is a woman who loves
strongly and weeps strongly and is strongly
terrified and has strong needs. A strong woman is strong
in words, in action, in connection, in feeling;
she is not strong as a stone but as a wolf
suckling her young. Strength is not in her, but she
enacts it as the wind fills a sail.
What comforts her is others loving
her equally for the strength and for the weakness
from which it issues, lightning from a cloud.
Lightning stuns. In rain, the clouds disperse.
Only water of connection remains,
flowing through us. Strong is what we make
each other. Until we are all strong together,
a strong woman is a woman strongly afraid.

Released 10 mos ago (6/23/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library at 5923 Kentucky Avenue in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA

This book has been released in the beautiful Little Free Library at Kentucky Avenue, made by hand by the husband living in the house, as a Christmas present for his wife and his daughter.

Els Hendriks - also known by her BookCrossing name hema-verf - also had a Little Free Library in her garden in Nijmegen, see the article with picture here: http://nijmegendirect.nl/bookcrossing-in-nijmegen/

This book has been released in grateful memory to Els.

----
Dear finder and poetry lover,

Congratulations, you have found a traveling book! Hopefully you will like it. You can leave it in this Little Free Library, or somewhere else, or pass it on to someone.

I would love to know how you chose to pick up the book and/or whether you liked reading it. I would be grateful if you leave an (possibly anonymous) journal entry here.

If you like the concept of Bookcrossing and you would like to follow this book when you release it, you can register as a member of Bookcrossing and choose your own screen name. It is free and there is no spam involved.

Enjoy your reading.