Roller Girl

by Victoria Jamieson | Graphic Novels |
Registered by wingReallyBookishwing of Furlong, Pennsylvania USA on 6/22/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingReallyBookishwing from Furlong, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, June 22, 2018
Okay, I will be the first one to admit that I am about thirty years beyond the target age for this book. I will also be the first to admit that I LOVED it! In this graphic novel, we follow Astrid during the summer before she begins junior high school. During this time, she attends roller derby camp and navigates the difficult social and familial terrain of the tween / teen years.

I devoured this book in one sitting and literally laughed out loud in places (bonus points always go to any book that can do that for me). I also found it extremely realistic; the portrayals of Astrid's foray into roller derby, her changing friendships, her relationship with her mother, and her quest to figure out who she really is now that she is getting older all resonated with me and reminded me of my own growing up years. And I loved the fact that Astrid is a tenacious heroine who is both tough and tender all at the same time.

Roller Girl reminded me very much of the work of Raina Telgemeier, which I have also enjoyed.

Recommended to readers of all ages!

Released 7 mos ago (8/6/2018 UTC) at RABCK, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

Headed out as a RABCK to a fellow BookCrosser. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, August 10, 2018
The RABCKs arrived safely today - many thanks! This one does look a bit like Raina Telgemeier's work; should be fun!

Later: Oh, this really was good - and quite similar to Telgemeier's work in storyline and characters as well as art-style. It deals with friends growing apart as their interests diverge, and with the tricky business of figuring out that it isn't a betrayal, just a change. There's the whole "don't let Mom know" part of the story, as Astrid tries to conceal the fact that her best friend is not with her at roller-derby camp; doomed to eventual discovery, yet I completely understood why she did it. And the shock when Astrid realized just how hard roller-derby was: oh, yes, that went home! I appreciated her struggles, and the way the story emphasized the lots-of-practice/lots-of-failure part of learning a new skill. The whole story was lively and fun, with some great examples of friendship and support.

Released 6 mos ago (9/7/2018 UTC) at Railroad Square (see release note for details) in Pepperell, Massachusetts USA

I plan to leave this book, bagged against the elements, on a bench along the rail-trail in Railroad Square; hope the finder enjoys it! (Update: left on the rail-trail bench, but first took a photo at the nearby covered bridge.)

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***

*** Released for the 2018 You're Such an Animal release challenge (a roller is a type of bird). ***