Hospital Station

by James White | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 6/20/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, June 20, 2018
I got this '70s paperback from a friend who's decluttering. I'd enjoyed Code Blue: Emergency, another book in the "Sector General" series about Doctors In Space, and look forward to this collection of short stories.

Later: This was lots of fun! It contains several loosely-connected tales, the first one of which introduces a character who will become the Guy In Charge in later stories - nice to see how he got there! (He's a smart guy with the face and body of a thug, so everyone thinks he's just dumb muscle; it's when he is tasked with caring for an orphaned alien the size of a full-grown hippo - and with no guidelines on its needs - that his intelligence, empathy, and knack for improvisation sees him through, in scenes that range from traumatic to hilarious!

The other stories center on another member of staff, a new doctor who has to learn the ropes - including how to manage having an alien personality temporarily installed in his own mind, to help with diagnosing and treating members of that species.

Some of the stories get pretty grim, as when a damaged ship crashes into the hospital, doing considerable damage - but the tone is generally on the light side, with the characters, of all shapes, sizes, limb-count, and planetary origin, working together to treat the sick. There are clever twists on typical hospital-drama scenarios, and I enjoyed the character development of Conway, protagonist of most of the stories. Great fun!

[There's a TV Tropes page on the series, with some entertaining tidbits.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Littlehale Rd in Durham, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, August 02, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (8/3/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, Littlehale Rd in Durham, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library on this warm day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

Journal Entry 3 by wingIddyluwing at Durham, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, August 02, 2018
GoryDetails posted about this book in a "what are you currently reading?" thread on the forums here, and I thought it sounded right up my alley... so when it showed up in a local Little Free Library, I had to zip out and nab it. Thanks for dropping this one off in Durham!

Journal Entry 4 by wingIddyluwing at Durham, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, August 16, 2018
I love that the aliens in this are so, well, alien - I feel like in fiction they’re more often than not some degree of humanoid, and that’s definitely not the case here. See my full review here.

This will be traveling with me on my trip next week! I'm switching out another book that I was planning to bring and bringing this one instead - it's much smaller and lighter.

Journal Entry 5 by wingIddyluwing at Little Free Library, Sollvallavägen in Sundbyberg, Stockholm Sweden on Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (8/22/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, Sollvallavägen in Sundbyberg, Stockholm Sweden

Released in the only currently-registered Little Free Library in the Stockholm area! I have noticed that GoryDetails likes to put pictures of the actual bookboxes in her LFL release notes, so I took a picture of this one for mine so she can see what it looks like. :)