Forest of Memory

by Mary Robinette Kowal | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wingReallyBookishwing of Furlong, Pennsylvania USA on 6/17/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingReallyBookishwing from Furlong, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, June 17, 2018
Hmm... well, I should probably start by saying that I don't normally read science fiction and don't think of myself as someone who enjoys it. However, I was browsing at the library book sale yesterday and while I normally skip the SFF shelves entirely, I spotted this very slender volume and was drawn to several things: its short length, its beautiful cover art, and the fact that it was written by Mary Robinette Kowal (I am familiar with her because I listen to the Writing Excuses podcast).

The premise of the book is interesting, but I had to work to orient myself to the world (what year is it? what technology exists?), which I think is one of the things I dislike about sci-fi in general. It's a short read and the writing is decent, but the problem is that I simply did not understand it. I came to the end and wondered what the heck had actually happened over the last 70 or 80 pages. So, basically, I'm still of the opinion that science fiction is not for me!

I hope the next reader will get more out of this one than I did.

Released 7 mos ago (8/6/2018 UTC) at RABCK, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

Headed out as a RABCK to a fellow BookCrosser. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, August 10, 2018
The RABCKs arrived safely today; many thanks! The cover-art's lovely; the premise sounds a bit creepy!

Later: A beautifully enigmatic story, honoring pre-electronic-age artifacts in a not-that-distant-future where everyone's online all the time. The narrator's predicament - having been kidnapped by someone who's taken her to a remote area where all her built-in web-gadgets are offline - is both disturbing and a little bit liberating, but I admit I felt more than a little confused as to what was actually going on with those deer!

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Tara Commons (see notes for details) in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, November 07, 2018

Released 4 mos ago (11/7/2018 UTC) at Tara Commons (see notes for details) in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book inside Pressed while stopping by for lunch; hope the finder enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***