A Lifetime Burning

by Linda Gillard | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingpenelopewanderswing of Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on 6/13/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingpenelopewanderswing from Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Wednesday, June 13, 2018
A signed copy received from the author, which I will offer as a ring or ray when I've had time to read this and the other she kindly sent.

Journal Entry 2 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Saint-Loup-des Vignes, Centre France on Sunday, July 29, 2018
I finished this a few hours ago and feel a bit as though I've been through the wringer.
I received this as a gift from the author as I have read and greatly enjoyed other books by her. I will make this available on bookcrossing to share.
I think if I'd written my review mid-way through I would have appreciated this less than I do now, with the last page turned. This is a rather dire tale - as it starts with a funeral, and rather cynical commentary accompanying it, I suppose the tone is set. Likewise the title really says it all as well, between actual flames, the imagined flames of hell, the flames of guilt and a searing belief in sin, unabated desire and a desperate sense of the inability to reach the unattainable ... Like Shakespeare's tragedies which are also present in the book, there is a tragic flaw here which is handed from generation to generation, clutched secretly, no one able to let go and be released from it.
Midway through I was a bit dizzied by the skipping between different time periods. I was also a bit weary of Flora, how given two choices she seemed to have the knack for opting for the worst. By the end, I had reconciled myself to the jumps in time, and often referred back to the different dates, which fortunately were provided. And Flora, like so many tragic heroines, was Flora.
I don't want to provide spoilers so won't go into the detail of the various mis-steps. The characters are strongly portrayed and the story gripping. I am grateful to the author for making it available to me.

Journal Entry 3 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Friday, August 17, 2018
This will be heading out as a ray.
So far (order could change):

Carlienka (Germany) European shipping
Femke85 (Sweden) international shipping
valpete (USA) international shipping
Ollie1976 (USA) USA shipping preferred <-- the book is here
CanticleLost (FL, USA) international shipping

alexiapapa (Greece) (not sure, check again)

Journal Entry 4 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Beaune-la-Rolande, Centre France on Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Released 5 mos ago (9/12/2018 UTC) at Beaune-la-Rolande, Centre France

This travelled by car to France and now this ray starts off and heads to Germany. Enjoy!

This book arrived safely in Germany.
Received today in the post,
Thank you!

Journal Entry 6 by Carlienka at Mosbach, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Thursday, October 18, 2018
Finally finished reading this yesterday.

What a devastatingly sad story.. I felt like clinging on to those characters who manged to find some happiness amidst all the tragedy. It was not an easy read, partly due to the subject matter at the centre of all the problems but I also struggled with the huge difference between Flora's narrator voice (as she narrated in hindsight) and her voice and actions as a young person. Especially in the early parts of the book it was hard to believe they were the same person. I suppose looking back one can understand how she changed so much and where the cynicism and bitterness crept it, but it still didn't sit right with me.

I also did not like the character of her brother. Early on in the story, a midwife declares that baby Flora was 'a naughty, greedy girl'. But I find that unfair, as Rory displayed so much more greed, selfishness and complete disregard for his family time and again. He was a perfect example of how a possessive love consumes and destroys. His unkindness to Flora makes their relationship very hard to understand.

All that said, such complex characters and such a complicated story make for riveting reading!

I will contact the next person on the list to see where this book will go next.

Released 3 mos ago (10/26/2018 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Baden-Württemberg Germany

Sent by post today to Femke85 as the next recipient of the ray.

Journal Entry 8 by wingFemke85wing at Uppsala, Uppland Sweden on Monday, October 29, 2018
This book arrived in the mail today! Thank you Carlienka for sending it my way, and Penelopewanders for organising this bookray. It might have to wait a bit on my TBR list, since I’ll be traveling and I prefer not to take bookray books when i travel

Journal Entry 9 by wingFemke85wing at Uppsala, Uppland Sweden on Tuesday, November 20, 2018
This is the second book I read from this author. I absolutely loved the other book (House of silence), so I was curious to see what this book was like.

At first i wasn’t so impressed. I always give a book 100 pages to convince me and if I don’t like it after page 100, I can put it away and pick a new book. So around page 90 I was convinced this book would not make the cut. But than somewhere between page 90 and 100 things started to happen and I was completely hooked to the story.

The story entails the sad life of Flora, who always lived in the shadow of her twin brother Rory. It starts with a funeral and then semi-chronologically the life of Flora and her family is revealed. A very sad tale of love and loss, with some complicated family relations and history.

Journal Entry 10 by wingFemke85wing at a Bookcrosser, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Released 2 mos ago (11/28/2018 UTC) at a Bookcrosser, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Sending this book off to the USA!

I always try to post my controlled releases with real stamps and this one has a lot of them! If you are not a collector yourself, you might want to check out this post on the forum about a stamps sweeps that I’m currently organising or this one about Bookcrossers who collect stamps. A lot of Bookcrossers collect stamps for charity, so it’s nice to find them a good home!

Journal Entry 11 by wingvalpetewing at Walnut Creek, California USA on Sunday, January 13, 2019
It seems I didn't journal the receipt of this book, which I received 12/17/18.
This is definitely a page-turner. It is a powerful and "disturbing exploration of the meaning of love with a close-knit family." It's mainly about love and the tangled web of human relationships, and is another brilliantly written book from this author.

Linda Gillard manages to portray very flawed characters in a way that makes the reader understand totally the way they are behaving. I actually found it quite sad and moving in places, as the family was torn apart by revelations that were almost beyond anybody's control.

Journal Entry 12 by wingvalpetewing at Walnut Creek, California USA on Monday, January 14, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (1/15/2019 UTC) at Walnut Creek, California USA

On to the next reader. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 13 by Ollie1976 at Hillsboro, Oregon USA on Friday, January 18, 2019
received as the last participant of this bookray-thanks for sharing