The Marrow Thieves

by Cherie Dimaline | Teens |
Registered by GateGypsy of Ladysmith, British Columbia Canada on 6/13/2018
Journal Entry 1 by GateGypsy from Ladysmith, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, June 13, 2018
Near-future dystopia set in Ontario, Canada.

Goodreads summary:
"In a futuristic world ravaged by global warming, people have lost the ability to dream, and the dreamlessness has led to widespread madness. The only people still able to dream are North America's Indigenous people, and it is their marrow that holds the cure for the rest of the world. But getting the marrow, and dreams, means death for the unwilling donors. Driven to flight, a fifteen-year-old and his companions struggle for survival, attempt to reunite with loved ones and take refuge from the "recruiters" who seek them out to bring them to the marrow-stealing "factories.""

Journal Entry 2 by GateGypsy at Ladysmith, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, June 13, 2018
I really loved this book. A lot of reviewers on GoodReads are carping about the characters being shallow or the pace being slow, but I really feel like the core of this story really gives all those nitpicky details a pass in my heart.

As an aboriginal Canadian, myself, and one who was raised in the mainstream culture rather than "on the Rez," I really related to Frenchie's deep, gnawing need to reconnect to the culture, specifically to learn the language. I loved every time Dimaline gave us a peak into Frenchie's mind when he heard other characters speaking in aboriginal dialects (specifically of interest for him: Anishnaabe). Like on page 125, "I would have mouthed each one after it was said, shoving them into my pockets like sweets to suck on later." The language is integral to the culture, and is central to healing; just as the land is.