Mr Gandy's Grand Tour

by alan titchmarsh | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by kiki66 of Gauting, Bayern Germany on 6/13/2018
Journal Entry 1 by kiki66 from Gauting, Bayern Germany on Wednesday, June 13, 2018
Timothy Gandy has kept his lifetime's ambition secret for forty years.

Now, suddenly (if tragically) released from the hen-pecked tedium of his ordinary existence, he is unexpectedly free to realize his dreams.

He will embark on a Grand Tour of Europe, following in the footsteps of the aristocrats of the eighteenth century.

He anticipates high art, culture and pleasant weather. He never expected to encounter new friendships - and possibly even love - along the way.

It seems that Mr Gandy has embarked on the journey of a lifetime...

Journal Entry 2 by kiki66 at Gauting, Bayern Germany on Wednesday, June 13, 2018
What a lovable book!
It was exactly what I hoped for.. the "Grand Tour itself" and whatever happened to him in the different towns. Very enjoyable. I especially liked the Monaco part and Rosamund!
Florence has always been on of my favourite towns and I loved the references to the E.M.Forster book!
And it made me watch "A room with a view" again and now I decided I have to read the book as well. Wonder why I haven't done that already!

The only thing being maybe a tiny little bit "naive" was that he could visit all the places like the Louvre or the Uffici without any troubles and queues!! ;-))
And the book was written in 2017...

Ring!

back home to Kiki

Journal Entry 3 by kiki66 at Gauting, Bayern Germany on Thursday, July 12, 2018
on its way to France...

Enjoy the Grand Tour :-)

Journal Entry 4 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Saint-Loup-des Vignes, Centre France on Friday, July 20, 2018
This ring was waiting for us when we arrived here in France at the house we are renovating. Thanks so much for sending!

Journal Entry 5 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Saint-Loup-des Vignes, Centre France on Thursday, July 26, 2018
This is here as a ring, and as usual, I enjoyed Kiki's pick... In a way I'm glad that the worst travelling adventure Mr Gandy encounters is not related to pickpockets, luggage thieves, or some of the other difficulties one is confronted with when travelling. I must say that what happens in Versailles (oops, no spoilers please!) did get my ears pricked, but maybe I'm overly cynical. I greatly enjoyed the hero's choice of guidebook, and think I need to read (re-read? I think I only saw the film) A Room with a View. I loved the quote Alice gives her dad - (and I don't have the book in front of me now, so sorry for mangling this) something to the effect that we mustn't let the plans we've made for our lives prevent us from living the lives we're meant to live. (It will be amusing to see how far off track that is when I go back and check!)
I should have the next address but ought to double-check it's still a go, perhaps.

Journal Entry 6 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Beaune-la-Rolande, Centre France on Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (7/31/2018 UTC) at Beaune-la-Rolande, Centre France

This found me here in France, where both I and my husband enjoyed reading it. Now it leaves central France for the coast (more or less). Thanks for sending and enjoy!!

Journal Entry 7 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Thursday, August 02, 2018
Thank you ! The book is indeed not too far from the Atlantic coast.
Hello to both of you. :)

Journal Entry 8 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Tuesday, August 07, 2018
Well... I can't say I loved this book.
I kind of sensed a desperation in the author's point of view. A male author, sure who is afraid of old age and put his misery on this late wife and his children ?
Not a book but a scenario without any sense of reality concerning the contemporary tourism activity (sadly) .

Journal Entry 9 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Thursday, September 20, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (9/20/2018 UTC) at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France

On its way to Canada finally. :D Enjoy !

Journal Entry 10 by Bookgirrl at Acton, Ontario Canada on Sunday, September 30, 2018
Heloooo from Canada. Mr. Gandy has landed in The Great White North - where it's actually Fall, and the leaves have barely changed. After only 3 pages, I knew I was going to enjoy this book. Thanks, kiki66, and also to Icila for your honest book review. Chacun son goût

Journal Entry 11 by Bookgirrl at Acton, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, October 30, 2018
Well, I have finished the book now. Off to Carlienka in (South Africa? Denmark?). The Paris bits were really fun for me as I went to many of the places Gandy went when I was there in 2005 - my first time in France and felt many of the same impressions. (For sure, I did not fall in love - that came two years later!) The book was full of surprises - interesting characters, situations - in each location. Never predictable. The only thing I would improve is the character development of Mr. Gandy. He seemed a bit beige to me, just sort of floating through the book. Overall, I did enjoy the book. It was not too challenging, but a quick, easy read. (And, I think I must watch "A Room with a View" again.)

Journal Entry 12 by Carlienka at Mosbach, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Thursday, July 11, 2019
It arrived!!
I was getting really concerned that this book was lost, but finally today it turned up on my doorstep in the hands of our very helpful local postman. A postmark on the package says it arrived in Germany in December already, but the house number was incorrect and it was never delivered to me. I don't know where it has been idling these past months, but the post office must have been clearing out their back rooms because today the postman brought it to me, and rang the bell to check that it was really for me. He knows our last name and know this neighbourhood, so he figured out that it was for me but just had the wrong number on it. So thankful!!

I look forward to reading this and commenting again soon.

Journal Entry 13 by Carlienka at Mosbach, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Monday, October 28, 2019
I found this really slow-going and I struggled to finish, but I really hate giving up on a book so I pushed through to the end.

The story was OK. I enjoyed reading about Mr Gandy's relationships with his children the most, also the character of Rosamund, and the section which was set in Florence... otherwise I found a lot of the characters flat and I almost completely lost interest during the train journey from Paris to Monte Carlo.

Curiously, all Mr Gandy's connections and even chance encounters along his travels, were with other people from the British Isles! except for one French person, whose dialogue was written in an irritiating fashion where all the 'th's are replaced with 'z's... like zis.

Anyhow, I did keep reading, and I did find the ending satisfying. Rosamund and Alice and the Irish nun redeemed the story for me, along with a few well-chosen quotes under the chapter titles.

Journal Entry 14 by Carlienka at Mosbach, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Released 4 wks ago (11/12/2019 UTC) at Mosbach, Baden-Württemberg Germany

Send by post, back to kiki66

Mr Gandy has completed his Grand Tour (for now)!

Journal Entry 15 by kiki66 at Gauting, Bayern Germany on Friday, November 15, 2019
Mr Gandy arrived safely back home..
Glad you enjoyed his travels.. more or less ;-)