The Royal Tutor, Vol. 3

by Higasa Akai | Graphic Novels |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 6/8/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, June 08, 2018
I enjoyed the first volume of this series about a little professor who's often mistaken for a child - but who winds up responsible for tutoring four young princes. I've been picking up additional volumes; got this online. (The manga inspired a 2017 anime that I definitely want to see. )

Later: Another entertaining entry in this series - mostly in the form of episodic stories, loosely linked by the ongoing question of which prince (if any!) will earn the right to be his father's heir. There are romantic complications here, starting with the very bishonen Beatrice, who turns out to be Kai's fiancee - and who longs for some hint of romance from him, though her tendency to be blunt and mannish doesn't play well with flirtation. (And as Kai's so retiring himself... well, I foresee their relationship taking a long time to work out!)

Little princess Adele has her own problems: having learned to her horror that once her portrait is finished she's to be married and sent away, she goes into a serious snit - and only comes out again once the tutor offers to marry her himself. (She's all of about six at this point, so nobody's in a hurry!) But her brothers all chime in to reassure her that she won't have to marry anyone she doesn't want to, and it'll be a long time before she has to leave anyway - touching to see those goofy princes uniting to help their sister.

Another story features prince Leonhard, the poorest student of the bunch, as his tutor shows him that he really will need to apply himself if he's ever to achieve his dream of becoming king.

And then there's the bit about frivolous Prince Licht, who turns out to be moonlighting as a waiter at an obscure little cafe in the town - a delightful place as it turns out. (Heck, I'd read a series set entirely in the cafe! Though I suppose I already have - see Cafe Kichijouji.) Anyway, complications ensue because Licht fears that he'll be forced to quit if his father finds out - but his father isn't the problem; it seems there's a nosy count who wants to stir up trouble for the princes and take them out of the line of succession. Cue "dum dum DUM!!!" villain-motif!

[There's a TV Tropes page on the series, with some entertaining tidbits.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, August 30, 2018

Released 5 mos ago (8/30/2018 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm sending this in a box of books to BCer HI77 in Florida, as part of a trade. Enjoy! (Chess, my new ginger cat, helped pack the box - for certain values of "helped".)

Journal Entry 3 by wingHI77wing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Monday, September 17, 2018
A pampered princeling