Cold Sassy Tree

by Olive Ann Burns | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingSqueakyChuwing of Rockville, Maryland USA on 6/5/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Tuesday, June 05, 2018
This is one of 24 books I selected this past weekend at The Book Thing of Baltimore. Thank you very much!

Journal Entry 2 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Sunday, August 19, 2018

Released 3 mos ago (8/19/2018 UTC) at Alexandria, Virginia USA

Welcome to Maryland, melydia! :D

-------------------------------------------------

Hello and welcome to BookCrossing ... where we make the whole world a library!

Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 3 by wingmelydiawing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Monday, August 20, 2018
One of the multiple copies given to me by my loving friends at BCinDC. You see, I have a bit of a history with this book, which has now become a joke among my friends, who attempt to find me copies whenever possible.

The funny thing is that I don't even have strong feelings about the book itself, as I said when I first read it back in 2005:

Will Tweedy was 14 years old and living in Cold Sassy, Georgia, in the summer of 1906 when his grandpa came home one day to announce he was marrying a woman half his age, not three weeks after the death of his first wife, Will’s grandmother. The town, of course, is scandalized, and continues to be so as the story wears on. This is more of a “slice of life” depiction than much of a story – the author starts with a setting (the town of Cold Sassy) and a premise (Grandpa’s new bride), and meanders through clever little anecdotes and asides for a while until the author decides it’s time to end the story and starts killing off characters. This is not a bad story, just a fairly standard one. I don’t have very strong feelings about it either way. The constant backcountry dialect got kind of old, but I feel that way about all books narrated in dialect so that’s not exactly serious criticism. On the other hand, I could hear all the characters in my head with no problem. In the end, if you like this era of historical fiction, you’ll enjoy the feeling of living in Cold Sassy; if you prefer more plot-driven stories where everything happens for a reason, you might want to skip this one.

Anyway, I hope to continue this copy's journey soon.

Journal Entry 4 by wingSqnutZipswing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Sunday, September 16, 2018
Dropped by fellow BC'er "melydia's" newly registered LFL #77591 on Manorfield Rd. in Rockville, Md.

There is a history with "Cold Sassy Tree" books and "melydia"... it's a BCinDC thing...

I recently found out that there is a 1989 movie "Cold Sassy Tree" staring Faye Dunaway and Richard Widmark. Maybe I'll check out the movie
instead of reading the book...

I do not plan to read the book but I plan to take the book with me to Alabama to release in a LFL somewhere in the Birmingham area.

Journal Entry 5 by wingSqnutZipswing at Bluff Park shopping center in Hoover, Alabama USA on Friday, September 28, 2018

Released 1 mo ago (9/28/2018 UTC) at Bluff Park shopping center in Hoover, Alabama USA

Left on bench outside of Turquoise gift shop, next to Bluff Park Hardware.

To the person who finds this book.....
Keep it or release it, read it or not, but please make a journal entry to let me know it's been found. Keep it, pass it on to a friend or release it into the wild.... let the journey continue.....

If you are new to BookCrossing, welcome! You can remain anonymous or join BookCrossing, it's free and loads of fun.

Journal Entry 6 by wingSqnutZipswing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Saturday, September 29, 2018
Hi "melydia" and "SqueakyChu", I left this book on a bench outside of the Turqoise gift shop which is next to the fantastic Bluff Park Hardware store at the Bluff Park shopping center in Hoover, Alabama.

Journal Entry 7 by wingSqnutZipswing at Bluff Park shopping center in Hoover, Alabama USA on Saturday, September 29, 2018

Left on bench outside of Turquoise gift shop, next to Bluff Park Hardware.

To the person who finds this book.....