The Fifth Season

by N. K. Jemisin | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wingInawing of München, Bayern Germany on 6/4/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingInawing from München, Bayern Germany on Monday, June 04, 2018
From the cover:
"This is the way the world ends for the last time.
It starts with the great red rift across the heart of the world's sole continent, spewing ash that blots out the sun.
It starts with death, with a murdered son and a missing daughter.
It starts with betrayal, and long dormant wounds rising up to fester.
This is the Stillness, a land long familiar with catastrophe, where the power of the earth is wielded as a weapon. And where there is no mercy."

Journal Entry 2 by wingInawing at München, Bayern Germany on Friday, June 12, 2020
Das Buch ist Hugo-Preisträger 2016

Es zählt außerdem für efells Lesechallenge 2020 in der Kategorie 12. unbekannter Autor

In the beginning I had my problems: too strange was the telling in the second person. Once I got used to it, I got more and more fascinated with the world - and also with the story - even if this superficially seen seems not much more than the tale of a mother who's seraching revenge for her murdered son - in an apocalyptic world.
I always like it, if a high fantasy novel is set diefferently than the usual medieval setting and the setting here is totally novel (at least for fantasy - One could argue, it is (apart from the stoneaters) closer to science fiction than fantasy). I also liked the subtle hints to discrimination. - In this (though only in this) it reminds me to the Netflix Witcher series.

Journal Entry 3 by wingInawing at München, Bayern Germany on Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Released 3 mos ago (6/16/2020 UTC) at München, Bayern Germany

Reist nun zu Wichtelkoenigin nach Köln.

Ich wünsche viel Freude damit.

Journal Entry 4 by wingWichtelkoeniginwing at Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Sunday, June 21, 2020
The book arrived in Cologne yesterday. Thanks a lot!

Journal Entry 5 by wingWichtelkoeniginwing at Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, July 17, 2020
I loved this book! Best read of 2020 so far.
Interesting characters and interesting world building, there aren't many writers who are that good in both of these things.

Journal Entry 6 by wingWichtelkoeniginwing at Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, August 03, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (8/3/2020 UTC) at Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

The book is on its way to its new home.

Journal Entry 7 by wingUrfinwing at Wolfsburg, Niedersachsen Germany on Thursday, August 06, 2020
Thanks!
The two books arrived yesterday or the day before yesterday.
Looking forward to reading them.