Providence: A Novel (Advance Reader's Edition)

by Caroline kepnes | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by indygo88 of Lafayette, Indiana USA on 5/28/2018
Journal Entry 1 by indygo88 from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Monday, May 28, 2018
"Growing up as best friends in small-town New Hampshire, Jon and Chloe are the only ones who truly understand each other, though they can never find the words to tell one another the depth of their feelings. When Jon is finally ready to confess his feelings, he's suddenly kidnapped by his substitute teacher who is obsessed with H.P. Lovecraft and has a plot to save humanity.

Mourning the disappearance of Jon and facing the reality he may never return, Chloe tries to navigate the rites of entering young adulthood and "fit in" with the popular crowd, but thoughts of Jon are never far away.

When Jon finally escapes, he discovers he now has an uncontrollable power that endangers anyone he has intense feelings for. He runs away to protect Chloe and find the answers to his new identity--but he's soon being tracked by a detective who is fascinated by a series of vigilante killings that appear connected. "

Received via LibraryThing's Early Reviewer program.

Journal Entry 2 by indygo88 at Lafayette, Indiana USA on Thursday, June 20, 2019
7/4/18 -- Jon and Chloe are school-age friends -- Jon a little bit quirky and Chloe on the edge of popularity. Then one day Jon disappears (kidnapped). He wakes up four years later with no memory of the past few years but with a different body: older, stronger, handsomer. He returns to his previous life briefly, but with lots of unanswered questions, and with a strange "power", a power that he can't control and that tends to hurt those that he loves. In order to protect his loved ones, he flees, leaving Chloe lost and bereft over his disappearance.

I've not yet read Kepnes' previous novels which appear to have enjoyed a fair amount of praise, but I'm inclined to think that this book is different than those. It was slow going for me at the beginning, and actually through the first half of the book. I put this one down for a while and only when I was stuck on an airplane for several hours did I pick it back up and then pretty much raced through the second half. I'm still not totally sure how I feel about it. It's an odd mix of sort-of romance, thriller, and supernatural that felt disjointed to me at times. I didn't not enjoy this, but it took a while for me to really submerge myself into the story. Once I did, it drew me in, but the story itself is a little unconventional and the unrealistic/supernatural aspects kept me from liking this more than I maybe could have.

Journal Entry 3 by indygo88 at Little Free Library - Columbian Park in Lafayette, Indiana USA on Thursday, June 20, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (6/20/2019 UTC) at Little Free Library - Columbian Park in Lafayette, Indiana USA

Dropping this one off in the Little Free Library at Columbian Park.

You have found a BookCrossing book! Please take a brief moment to journal your thoughts upon reading this book. Then, if you'd like, re-release the book (to a friend, a stranger, or back out into the wild). That way you can track its travels & its readers throughout the world!