Revelation (Pocket Canon)

by Author unknown | Religion & Spirituality | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingCordelia-annewing of Someplace, Georgia USA on 5/26/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingCordelia-annewing from Someplace, Georgia USA on Saturday, May 26, 2018
THE NEW JERUSALEM
William Blake

And did those feet in ancient time.
Walk upon England's mountains green:
And was the holy Lamb of God,
On England's pleasant pastures seen!

And did the Countenance Divine,
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here,
Among these dark Satanic Mills?

Bring me my Bow of burning gold;
Bring me my Arrows of desire:
Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold!
Bring me my Chariot of fire!

I will not cease from Mental Fight,
Nor shall my Sword sleep in my hand:
Till we have built Jerusalem,
In Englands green & pleasant Land

From childhood this William Blake poem, set to music, has been my favorite hymn. So I was happy to read Kathleen Norris' radically optimistic take on the book of Revelation, which she calls "a poet's book." She's right, it is. And I was glad to learn from her that Revelation was Emily Dickinson's favorite book of the Bible. Still, though there is much that I find beautiful and touching in Revelation, the book remains difficult for me, even after reading this eye-opening essay and approaching it with new enthusiasm. Yes, Revelation is a fascinating dream. I will try to love it more as I love William Blake's New Jerusalem, a vision Blake garnered from Revelation and from his life as an Englishman. We all long for the New Jerusalem but the destruction of the life we know is frightening to imagine.

I have come to love these controversial little "Pocket Canons," published by Grove Press back in the late 1990s. As the English-speaking world spins further and further away from its cultural and literary roots, it is good to have these lovingly printed editions of books of the King James Bible, translated between 1603 and 1611. Then England was just two generations away from being a Catholic country and the fairly new printing press brought books, formerly only owned by the very rich, the Church, Universities and other vaunted institutions of the day, to more and more people. Thus, the King James translation became a seminal book of my dear mother-tongue, English, spoken beautifully and with great love in the American South of my childhood. I didn't stumble upon these little books until about 2004 when I started bookcrossing. I was drawn to them as a lover of English and a reverent user of it. I've found so many of the introductory essays within the tiny editions just wonderful. Grove Press comissioned prominent secular writers or other cultural figures like musician Bono and the Dalai Lama, the religious leader of Tibetan Buddhism, to review the books of the King James Canon. Most of the time, I've enjoyed the secular commentary, though one did trouble me. Anyway, the little Pocket Canons, though not technically in print anymore, are still about. Readers can find them online and at used bookstores. I haven't read all of them, but I did purchase the wonderful book Revelations: Personal Responses to the Books of the Bible, released in 2007 by Canongate Books. The Grove Press is no more--but Canongate Books, which came from it, has published all of the Pocket Canons' essays in Revelations.

Journal Entry 2 by wingCordelia-annewing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Released 11 mos ago (10/17/2018 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

This book is going out to a friend who enjoys geocaching. This tiny book is the right size and it fits with a theme for wish list book I'm sending.

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, October 22, 2018
The box arrived today; thanks so much, for the wishlist book and for the bonus books as well! I had to peek into this one, and Kathleen Norris' introduction opens with "I love this unlovable book for many reasons" - not your typical Bible commentary!

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Taft Ave in Lexington, Massachusetts USA on Monday, November 05, 2018

Released 10 mos ago (11/5/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, Taft Ave in Lexington, Massachusetts USA

I left this book in this intriguingly-a-tilt Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***