Hot Peppers

by Richard Schweid | History |
Registered by winghyphen8wing of Honolulu, Hawaii USA on 8/3/2018
Journal Entry 1 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Friday, August 03, 2018
This is not an ordinary book: it's a BookCrossing book! BookCrossing books are world travelers - they like to have adventures and make new friends...and every once in a while they even write home to say what they've been doing.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Subtitle: Cajuns and Capsicum in New Iberia, Louisiana.

Trade paperback from the Friends of the Library.

Not only about Tabasco. There's a lot of interesting stuff in here, and some recipes using hot peppers, too.

I like some spicy food, but I don't want to reach the point where everything tastes bland without hot sauce. :s

Journal Entry 2 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, August 12, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (8/14/2018 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm so glad you've found this book!

Please take a moment to make a journal entry and let this book's previous readers know that it's safe with you.

If you've ever wondered where your books go after they leave your hands, join BookCrossing and you may find out: you'll be able to follow your books as new readers make journal entries - sometimes from surprisingly far-flung locations.

BookCrossing: making the whole world a library!Once I get the next person's address, this book will be headed out in MaryZee's Biographies of Things - hope it finds a new reader!

Journal Entry 3 by wing6of8wing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Saturday, November 03, 2018
This book came home in the Biographies of Things book box. I am not one for spicy food, but the illustration on the front makes this a very appealing book.

Journal Entry 4 by wing6of8wing at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Friday, May 10, 2019

Released 7 mos ago (5/10/2019 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

This book is a hot property in the Biographies of Things book box started by MaryZee and continued in her memory.

Journal Entry 5 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, May 22, 2019
I'm claiming this from the Biographies of Things bookbox, largely for the sake of the cute cover-art. I'm fond of hot sauce myself, and my father was devoted to Tabasco, the best-known product of New Iberia, so I look forward to reading this book.

Later: There's a lot more here than I'd expected! Yes, it covers the growth of the hot-pepper-sauce industry on New Iberia, but it also delves into the different ethnic groups in the region, their history and culture, the economic and ecological issues, and more! (I bet Dad would have enjoyed this...)

There's an ironic/dramatic incident near the end of the book: the author recounts being mugged one night in New Orleans' French Quarter - by someone who used pepper spray to immobilize the victim! Ouch... (He got out of it with no permanent harm done, and admits that robbery-by-capsaicin was preferable to a knife or a gun, but still!)

And there's a "Lagniappe" bonus chapter with several interesting notes, including a tie-in to New Hampshire; seems that a NH farmer was among the first Americans to write extensively about hot peppers, with one of his works cited from 1832 and referring to the medicinal use of capsaicin!

The recipe section made me crave some jambalaya...

Journal Entry 6 by wingGoryDetailswing at Hanover St. (see notes) in Manchester, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, July 27, 2019

Released 4 mos ago (7/27/2019 UTC) at Hanover St. (see notes) in Manchester, New Hampshire USA

I plan to leave this book in or near Madear's on Hanover St., a southern/Cajun restaurant; hope someone enjoys the book!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2019 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***