Romancing the Inventor: A Supernatural Society Novella

by Gail Carriger | Romance |
ISBN: 1944751076 Global Overview for this book
Registered by emmejo of Cortland, New York USA on 5/25/2018
Journal Entry 1 by emmejo from Cortland, New York USA on Friday, May 25, 2018
Imogene is a country girl who has successfully kept her interest in other women quiet, but hopes that in the reportedly debouched society of vampires, she might find another who shares her desires. Sadly, a pretty parlormaid doesn't seem to be what any of the vampiric ladies are looking for. She's dodging unwanted masculine attentions when she meets Genevieve Lefoux; beautiful, brilliant, and troubled. It soon becomes clear to Imogene that Genevieve shares her romantic interests, but is still deeply scarred by a previous romance gone wrong. Can Imogene coax the inventor from her shell, or will both women be doomed to pining from afar?

Madame Lefoux was basically the entire reason I read Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series, so I was very excited to read this spin-off and have kept it and re-read it a couple times when I needed some romantic, yearning fluff. With an upcoming move, I've decided to let it leave my shelves in search of other readers.

It's a quick-paced romance with Carriger's signature snark in full-force, although Imogene is a woman with a more subtle brand of defiance than her action-oriented heroines from most of her previous works.

I think this will work quite well as a stand-alone novel. Some readers might be a little confused by some of the world building, but it is mild enough that most genre-savvy readers shouldn't have a hard time figuring things out. It also has a glossary at the back, for terms that are specific to the Parasol-verse.

Journal Entry 2 by emmejo at Trumansburg, New York USA on Friday, June 22, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (6/22/2018 UTC) at Trumansburg, New York USA

One of the starter books for the Vampire Bookbox

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, July 16, 2018
I'm claiming this book from the Vampire bookbox. (It takes place not long after the events of Timeless, and while it does stand on its own, I appreciated knowing more about the background - not to mention that whole giant-octopus-rampage business!)

This story mainly centers on Imogene's attempts to woo Genevieve despite the older woman's determination to "spare" Imogene from what she perceives as unwanted attention. But before they finally get to the point where they actually use their words and get past that little misunderstanding, there are some entertaining scenes of life in a vampire hive, hints of industrial espionage, and some delightful appearances by other main-series characters including Alexia (of course) and Major Channing. And Imogene does get some damsel-in-distress scenes, though she's pretty capable of taking care of herself. Entertaining and sometimes steamy romp!

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Court St. in Dover, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, August 02, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (8/2/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, Court St. in Dover, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library on this warm day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***