Mini Modern Classics Strange Crime of John Boulnois (Penguin Mini Modern Classics)

by G K Chesterton | Mystery & Thrillers |
ISBN: 0141195908 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingCordelia-annewing of Someplace, Georgia USA on 5/13/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingCordelia-annewing from Someplace, Georgia USA on Sunday, May 13, 2018
The colossus of crime leaned over to the little rustic priest with a sort of sudden interest. 'You have heard of it?' he asked. 'Where have you heard of it?' 'Well, I mustn't tell you his name, of course,' said the little man simply. 'He was a penitent, you know. He had lived prosperously for about twenty years entirely on duplicate brown-paper parcels. And so, you see, when I began to suspect you, I thought of this poor chap's way of doing it at once.' 'Began to suspect me?' repeated the outlaw with increased intensity. 'Did you really have the gumption to suspect me just because I brought you up to this bare part of the heath?' 'No, no,' said Brown with an air of apology. 'You see, I suspected you when we first met. It's that little bulge up the sleeve where you people have the spiked bracelet.' 'How in Tartarus,' cried Flambeau, 'did you ever hear of the spiked bracelet?' 'Oh, one's little flock, you know!' said Father Brown, arching his eyebrows rather blankly.

One of detective fiction's most idiosyncratic and best-loved characters, G. K. Chesterton's Father Brown is both a diminutive, genial clergyman and a master sleuth. In these two stories involving the ingenious, unobtrusive priest, a murdered man denounces his killer with his dying breaths, and a brilliant French inspector follows a trail of gentil carnage across London. This book includes The Strange Crime of John Boulnois and The Blue Cross.

Amazon Editorial Review

Journal Entry 2 by wingCordelia-annewing at Someplace, Georgia USA on Friday, May 25, 2018
I just loved both of these brief stories. There's a wonderful controlled irony and wit in Chesterton's writing and his observations amuse me. In "The Blue Cross" there's the idea that criminals are the artists while sleuths are only literary critics. And I cherished his distinction between the "great" and the "successful" man in "The Strange Crime of John Boulnois."

Journal Entry 3 by wingCordelia-annewing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, May 26, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (5/26/2018 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

Hello! You've received this book from bookcrossing, a random community of book lovers. This book came from metro Atlanta, Georgia and was sent to Nashua, New Hampshire for the bookcrossing enjoyment of bookcrosser Gory Details.

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, June 05, 2018
The book arrived today - many thanks! I love Chesterton's work, and I really like these little Penguin softcover editions; thanks for thinking of me!

I've enjoyed the Father Brown stories over the years, and these two are excellent - especially "The Blue Cross," which pits Brown against the charismatic criminal Flambeau, a meeting that will change Flambeau's life in the extreme.

I enjoy the ways in which the unassuming little priest demonstrates his keen knowledge of human nature; he's sometimes acerbic and is no pushover, despite his strong beliefs and his kind heart. He has some traits of Sherlock Holmes, including his ability to notice the smallest details and to reason correctly from the evidence; and I can't help wondering whether TV detective Columbo was based in part on Father Brown, for his somewhat rumpled appearance and his absent-minded demeanor...

[The "Father Brown" stories have been adapted for television a time or two, most recently in the 2013 TV series - but I have to say that I don't care for the liberties taken with the source material in that series. Brown himself is depicted quite differently than in the stories, which is the worst offense in my view, but the changes to the stories - often including complete changes of motivation and even of killer - are almost as bad, as is the inexplicable choice to have Flambeau - one of the best characters in the stories - changed from a dashing thief who reforms thanks to Father B. to a cold-hearted criminal who... doesn't. Grrr. I much prefer the 1974 series.]

There's a TV Tropes page on the stories with many interesting tidbits.

Released 1 yr ago (6/13/2018 UTC) at New Hampshire geocache (see notes for details) in -- Geocaches, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Can You Handel This? geocache in Bedford NH, along a trail system that runs near a bald eagle nesting site. (No eagles in view today, alas!) Hope the finder enjoys the book!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***