Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Curl up with a good book!
by J.K. Rowling | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 6/11/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, June 11, 2018
I found this somewhat-battered softcover in the Little Free Library in the Park Social in Nashua NH. (It had been torn in half when two enthusiastic youngsters could not agree as to who was to have it; with some repairs it should still be readable!)

I first "discovered" Harry Potter some time in mid-1999, and was promptly charmed by the whimsical humor and imagination of the story. Now that Potter-mania has achieved epic proportions, I look back with some nostalgia to the days when Harry wasn't hyped to the skies - although word was spreading even then. (I admit that I ran out and bought mugs and T-shirts with the Hogwarts house crests on them the first chance I got, so I can't turn my nose up at the merchandising altogether.) Of all the books, I'd say that this one is my second-favorite (after "Azkaban"). Favorite bits included the introduction of Bertie Botts' Every-flavor Beans, owls, Hagrid, and Quidditch - plus everything else!

The 2001 film impressed me with its attention to the details of the setting; many of the scenes were so much like my imaginings from reading the book that it was almost eerie! And the film features Alan Rickman as Snape, a character I'd found fascinating even before this perfect casting choice {grin}.

[For additional fun, see the TV Tropes page for the book and film; lots of entertaining info, but beware of spoilers.]

***
I've registered at least one copy of each of the books by now. Here's the full series, with my comments to date:

Sorcerer's Stone
Chamber of Secrets
Prisoner of Azkaban [my favorite of the series!]
Goblet of Fire
Order of the Phoenix
Half-blood Prince
Deathly Hallows

Released 1 yr ago (6/15/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, Wonderland Park in Windham, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library at this delightfully elaborate playground; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Movie release challenge. ***