The Girl Before

by J. P. Delaney | Mystery & Thrillers | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingPlum-crazywing of Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on 6/5/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingPlum-crazywing from Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 5, 2018
Please make a list of every possession you consider essential to your life.

The request seems odd, even intrusive - and for the two women who answer, the consequences are devastating.

Emma
Reeling from a traumatic break-in, Emma wants a new place to live. But none of the apartments she sees are affordable or feel safe. Until One Folgate Street. The house is an architectural masterpiece: a minimalist design of pale stone, plate glass, and soaring ceilings. But there are rules. The enigmatic architect who designed the house retains full control: no books, no throw pillows, no photos or clutter or personal effects of any kind. The space is intended to transform its occupant - and it does.

Jane
After a personal tragedy, Jane needs a fresh start. When she finds One Folgate Street, she is instantly drawn to the space - and to its aloof but seductive creator. Moving in, Jane soon learns about the untimely death of the home's previous tenant, a woman similar to Jane in age and appearance. As Jane tries to untangle truth from lies, she unwittingly follows the same patterns, makes the same choices, crosses paths with the same people, and experiences the same terror as the girl before.

NO BOOKS!!!!...stuff that....

Journal Entry 2 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 24, 2019
I admit I was very nearly put off this by the "more than a match for 'The Girl on the Train'" quote & I'm so glad I wasn't.

As is so oft the norm these days in psychological thrillers, the story is told from two perspectives. Firstly we have Jane, who is currently living in One Folgate Street, a minimalist property to say the least & her tenancy depends on her adhering to a long list of strict - & slightly bizarre - instructions. But she isn't the first person to live here & the second story we hear is from Emma, a previous tenant who died after a tragic accident..or was she murdered?...

The chapters are quite short, switching easily between the two women's stories & I particularly liked the moral problems that started some of them eg;
A person close to you confesses in confidence that they ran over someone while drunk. as a result, they have given up drinking for good. Would you feel obliged to report it to the police?
Makes you think what you'd do doesn't it?

I can't really go into the ins & outs of the story without giving too much away. I found it started out quite creepy with the house having a Big Brotherish air to it - why would anyone choose to live under these circumstances? And what sort of control freak makes these rules!

I will admit at one point I did briefly consider the plausibility of the whole ultra-minimalist-house-scenario & the credibility of it's enigmatic/egocentric architect but so what? I was totally hooked, being fascinated yet appalled at the way Jane's experiences disturbingly mirrored those of Emma's.

I don't think it will come as a spoiler to say there's a twist or two along the way but... joy of joys... there was one cracking one I'd never have expected! Woo hoo for that indeed :o)

Journal Entry 3 by wingPlum-crazywing at RABCK, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, August 1, 2019

Released 2 yrs ago (8/1/2019 UTC) at RABCK, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Sneaking in with a Yorkshire Day Exchange package.

Okay its not technically a Yorkshire themed book but it was bought in Yorkshire & read in Yorkshire by a genuine Yorkshire lass! It's going to someone who likes psychological thrillers though it seems to be a marmite book. I really liked it - wonder what the next reader will think.....

Journal Entry 4 by notingnothing at Sidcup, Kent United Kingdom on Monday, August 5, 2019
Received in my Yorkshire Day exchange. Thank you Plum-crazy. This looks right up my street, look forward to reading this one.

Journal Entry 5 by notingnothing at Sidcup, Kent United Kingdom on Saturday, January 8, 2022
Picked off mount TBR when I saw the advert for the BBC adaptation of this book and thought I had better read it before watching the telly version (after all, the book is always better!)

An interesting premise, lots to think about with how I would cope in such a minimalist environment (I wouldn't!) and interesting/unsettling to read the parallels between Emma and Jane's experiences.

A couple of great twists too :)

Thanks plum-crazy, I enjoyed this one! Will put to one side to be released at a later date.

Journal Entry 6 by notingnothing at Sidcup Station in Sidcup, Kent United Kingdom on Thursday, January 27, 2022

Released 3 mos ago (1/28/2022 UTC) at Sidcup Station in Sidcup, Kent United Kingdom

Released on the bookshelf on the London bound platform.