The Seagull

by Ann Cleeves | Mystery & Thrillers | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingPlum-crazywing of Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on 4/27/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingPlum-crazywing from Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, April 27, 2018
A visit to her local prison brings DI Vera Stanhope face to face with an old enemy: former detective superintendent, and now inmate, John Brace. Brace was convicted of corruption and involvement in the death of a gamekeeper - and Vera played a key part in his downfall.

Now, Brace promises Vera information about the disappearance of Robbie Marshall, a notorious wheeler-dealer who disappeared in the mid-nineties, if she will look out for his daughter and grandchildren. He tells her that Marshall is dead, and that his body is buried close to St Mary's Island in Whitley Bay. However, when a search team investigates, officers find not one skeleton, but two.

This cold case case takes Vera back in time, and very close to home, as Brace and Marshall, along with a mysterious stranger known only as 'the Prof', were close friends of Hector, her father. Together, they were the 'Gang of Four', regulars at a glamorous nightclub called The Seagull. Hector had been one of the last people to see Marshall alive. As the past begins to collide dangerously with the present, Vera confronts her prejudices and unwanted memories to dig out the truth . . .

Journal Entry 2 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, April 29, 2018
A really good read in this excellent series by an author who has long been a favourite of mine. Set in Whitley Bay this book sees Vera investigating a cold case which is close to home as it would appear to involve her father Hector. The lives, the fates & the deaths, of the characters all wove credibly together making the story a really gripping one. As ever the descriptions are evocative, with the atmosphere of the run-down seaside town being markedly authentic. While I spotted a couple of glaring clues I didn't twig their relevance & so pleasingly some revelations came as a surprise - but no further details so to avoid spoilers.

What I particularly liked about this book was the fact that we get more of a glimpse at Vera's earlier years. Not that much detail to be fair but enough of an inkling to confirm that the years with her father were difficult ones.
I'm also enjoying the way Holly is starting to become more of a featured player & feel I'm starting to understand this prickly character a bit more. (Holly? prickly? very apt eh? lol) Vera's caustic attitude towards her seems to be mellowing, if only slightly....not too much I hope as I like it when they are at loggerheads!
Conversely, Joe seems to be taking a back seat & he seems to be in danger of becoming a bit of a plodder. With all the references to his domestic life I'm wondering if wifey will get her way & he'll quit.....

One of the best in the series to my mind & I hope it's not too long before the next instalment.

Journal Entry 3 by wingPlum-crazywing at RNLI Shop in Port Patrick, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, June 01, 2018

Released 8 mos ago (6/1/2018 UTC) at RNLI Shop in Port Patrick, Scotland United Kingdom

Donated to the RNLI for fund raising

Released as part of the 2018 TV SERIES Challenge (#22)

Read and Release at BookCrossing.com...

Congratulations - You've found a travelling book !

You can help us to track this book's travels by taking a moment to make a journal entry - let us know where you found it, what you thought of it or where it's going next - write as much or as little as you like! You can remain anonymous or why not join us? If you decide to join us you will receive an alert every time someone new journals the book, helping you to follow it's travels as it meets new readers.

Enjoy the book!

(If you do decide to join Bookcrossing, please consider putting me,
Plum-crazy, as your referring member - thank you)