Penguin Essentials Wide Sargasso Sea

by Jean Rhys | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
ISBN: 0241951550 Global Overview for this book
Registered by ukcanaus of Melbourne, Victoria Australia on 4/26/2018
Journal Entry 1 by ukcanaus from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Thursday, April 26, 2018
Jean Rhys's spell-binding novel Wide Sargasso Sea, inspired by Jane Eyre and winner the Royal Society of Literature Award is beautifully repackaged as part of the Penguin Essentials range.

'There is no looking glass here and I don't know what I am like now... Now they have taken everything away. What am I doing in this place and who am I?'

If Antoinette Cosway, a spirited Creole heiress, could have foreseen the terrible future that awaited her, she would not have married the young Englishman. Initially drawn to her beauty and sensuality, he becomes increasingly frustrated by his inability to reach into her soul. He forces Antoinette to conform to his rigid Victorian ideals, unaware that in taking away her identity he is destroying a part of himself as well as pushing her towards madness.

Set against the lush backdrop of 1830s Jamaica, Jean Rhys's powerful, haunting masterpiece was inspired by her fascination with the first Mrs Rochester, the mad wife in Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre.

Journal Entry 2 by wingHaugtussawing at Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Sunday, June 10, 2018
I just read about this book, alas, I can't for the life of me remember in which book the reference was. However, it prompted me to put in on my wishlist. Two wished granted in a day - you do spoil me, my dear.

Journal Entry 3 by wingHaugtussawing at Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Thursday, March 28, 2019
It took me a while before I got the Jane Eyre - reference. A quite disturbing book, which jumped about a bit - even so I did like it.