IN A NARROW GRAVE: Essays on Texas

by Larry McMurtry | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 4/25/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, April 25, 2018
I got this softcover from the ongoing book-sale at the local library. It includes several early essays by McMurtry, collected by him for the "Texas" theme that runs throughout. Of these, my favorites were "Here's HUD in Your Eye" - about his experiences on the set of the film "Hud", based on his novel Horseman, Pass By - and "Cowboys, Movies, Myths, and Cadillacs," in which he discusses that film and other works that fed the cowboy myth as it changed over time. They're insightful and funny - and included references to the books he used as his own sources for cowboy-era Texas. (Among those: Cow People by J. Frank Dobie, from which he quotes famed cattleman Charles Goodnight with the "Yes, a hell of a vision" line that he gave to his character Woodrow Call in Lonesome Dove.)

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Shell Station at Exit 4 in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Released 4 wks ago (3/26/2019 UTC) at Shell Station at Exit 4 in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book on top of one of the gas pumps at the Exit 4 Shell station; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2019 Oh the Places We Can Go release challenge. ***

Journal Entry 3 by KingShweem at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, March 27, 2019
I left work super late today and on my ride home realized I was low on gas. I planned to go to the one by my house like usual. Except I had texted a girl in hopes she would be free and we could meet up because I wanted to go for a cruise, jam out to some music, and relax after a long day. So, I sporadically pulled off on exit 4 to grab gas in hopes she would answer by the time I finished pumping. THEN while I'm pumping gas I notice something on top of the pump. Uncertain I reach for it and realize it's a book. I was very confused at first but quickly followed by intrigue. I would have never chose to read this type of a book but under these circumstances I think it's only right I give it a try.
I plan to bring it further than Nashua before releasing it again, hopefully giving it a good kick far from here to see where it ends up next....or maybe this is one of those boomerang books...only time will tell.