Harriet Said

by Beryl Bainbridge | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
ISBN: 045106058X Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 4/25/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, April 25, 2018
I got this slightly-battered hardcover from Better World Books. I've enjoyed several of Bainbridge's novels, and when I found out that this, her first book, was inspired by the Parker-Hulme murder case in Christchurch NZ in 1954 I wanted to read it.

Turns out it's quite loosely based on that case, taking the troubled-teen-girls-with-active-fantasy-lives and pitting them against a middle-aged man who's unhappy marriage tempts the girls into interfering. Things... do not end well...

I was interested to read that the book was rejected by publishers when Bainbridge first presented it in the '50s; the manuscript was eventually published in 1972, possibly after the revelations that young teens could do appalling things was no longer considered news...

I admit I didn't enjoy the novel, and I definitely prefer other of Bainbridge's works, but it's an interesting period piece, unnerving and uncomfortable.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, City Hall in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Released 9 mos ago (12/19/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, City Hall in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 What's In A Name release challenge. ***