The Companion

by Sarah Dunnakey | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingkinediwing of Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on 4/23/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingkinediwing from Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Monday, April 23, 2018
Billy Shaw lives in a palace. Potter's Pleasure Palace, the best entertainment venue in Yorkshire, complete with dancing, swing-boats and a roller-skating rink.

When it is arranged for him to become companion to the child at the big house above the valley, Billy leaves home to find a wild, peculiar boy in a curiously haphazard household where nothing that's meant is said and the air is thick with secrets. Before long, tragedy strikes and facts become entangled with fictions. It's left to Anna Sallis, almost a century later, to unravel the knots and find the truth.

Journal Entry 2 by wingkinediwing at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Thursday, May 03, 2018
Bookclub May 2018 - part of our Read Regional .

I loved the setting in Yorkshire, it was very atmospheric (particularly in winter) and I would have loved to have visited the Palace in it's heyeday, However somehow I could not warm to some of characters much. Jasper was such a nasty person and I took against him straight away. Edie and Charles Harper were pretty one dimensional to me too. The only more real people I think were Anna and Frank. They kept me interested in the story and the family history.

Journal Entry 3 by wingkinediwing at Filmhouse Cinema in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, June 25, 2018

Released 5 mos ago (7/1/2018 UTC) at Filmhouse Cinema in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Welcome to Bookcrossing.

Thank you for catching this book! I hope that you enjoy it and will consider exploring this site and possibly joining. It is free and loads of fun, as you can track your released books in their travels, possibly all over the world!

Please feel free to keep this book for as long as you wish, and whenever you're ready, pass it on. Then watch its journey - you'll be alerted by email each time someone makes a new journal entry. It's all confidential, free and fun (and addictive - but in a GOOD way)!

You may remain anonymous, but if you choose to join the site, I hope that you will consider using me, kinedi, as the one who referred you.

Congratulations on finding a Bookcrossing book and Happy Reading!!!

Journal Entry 4 by wingbookfrogsterwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 03, 2018
Caught at the Old Gang meet up. Thank you!

Journal Entry 5 by wingbookfrogsterwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, August 11, 2018
I have been struggling to get immersed in this one, so rather than hold onto it, I'll be setting it free again soon.

Journal Entry 6 by LittleSuz at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, August 12, 2018
Caught at the Bookfest meetup, thank you