Pigs in Heaven

by Barbara Kingsolver | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 006109868x Global Overview for this book
Registered by biba89 of Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on 3/29/2004
Journal Entry 1 by biba89 from Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on Monday, March 29, 2004
Pigs in Heaven follows the story of Taylor and Turtle, which started in the Bean Trees.
Part of the bookcrossing race to a million.

Journal Entry 2 by biba89 from Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on Tuesday, August 24, 2004
This PCis being ringed to everyone who is curious to know what happens next to Taylor and Turtle, after having read the Bean Trees.
Here's the list:
Elefteria
jgralike
janna2
muizz
Dutch-flybaby
Suzy26
and back to me.

Hey! Look! A ring I should have started, many months ago! There's no time like the present, right? Off it goes.

Journal Entry 4 by Elefteria from Enschede, Overijssel Netherlands on Friday, October 14, 2005
ah, there's Taylor and Turtle again. Looks like a good book! thanks Biba.

Journal Entry 5 by Elefteria from Enschede, Overijssel Netherlands on Thursday, October 20, 2005
I liked the book a lot! couldn't stop reading once I started. I hope/wish there are more people likt these wonderful characters in the US. Only the person of Annawake was not so good described. her personality and her arguments were not as good as the rest of the story. thanks for ringing this book Biba!

Journal Entry 6 by Elefteria at BookRing in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, October 20, 2005

Released 13 yrs ago (10/23/2005 UTC) at BookRing in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

na overleg met Biba neem ik het boek zondag mee voor Janna2. dan kan zij het tzt doorsturen of geven aan jgralike

Journal Entry 7 by wingjanna2wing from Castricum, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Monday, October 24, 2005
The second book about Taylor and Turtle. I hope I will enjoy this one as well as the first one. Thanks Biba!

Journal Entry 8 by wingjanna2wing from Castricum, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, December 01, 2005
Not a love-story, but a story about love and all the things that ties people together. A wonderful book again! And, despite the serious theme of the book: lots of humor!

I will bring the book to the postoffice this morning, on its way to jgralike.

Journal Entry 9 by jgralike from Almelo, Overijssel Netherlands on Friday, December 02, 2005
This is one of the rings I totally forgot, so Janna2's pm for my address surprised me pleasantly. I look forward to reading this book.
And thanks to Janna2 for the lovely postcard!

Journal Entry 10 by jgralike from Almelo, Overijssel Netherlands on Friday, December 09, 2005
A "pageturner", lovingly written, holding many surprises. There is one big question remaining, though: why does Taylor run away and stay away for so long? After Annawake's visit Taylor hits the road and only many months later she finds her way to Turtle's relatives. Despite all the talking and good intentions, there seems to be no real communication going. All for fear?

Edit: it has been a few hours since my last posting, and more and more questions and loose ends about this book are coming to my mind. And all this info, hidden in the story, is that meant to teach us things, or just filling pages?

Strange enough, I could not put the book down before I finished it.

Journal Entry 11 by jgralike from Almelo, Overijssel Netherlands on Sunday, December 11, 2005
Will be mailed to Muizz tomorrow.

Journal Entry 12 by muizz from Nieuwegein, Utrecht Netherlands on Friday, December 16, 2005
I've received the book yesterday. Reading the blurb, I realised it was a sequel to 'The Bean Trees', which I really enjoyed. I look forward to read more about Taylor and Turtle's lives.
Thank you, jgralike, for sending the book.

Journal Entry 13 by muizz from Nieuwegein, Utrecht Netherlands on Thursday, February 02, 2006
The more I read from Barbara Kingsolver, the more I love her books! After reading 'The Bean Trees' I thought everything was settled between Taylor and Turtle, but in 'Pigs in heaven' it starts all over again. The book makes you think about family ties, roots, and were you really belong.
However, I wasn't too happy about the ending. I'm still thinking why that is. Probably I hoped for something different. I know I am a bit vague here, but I don't want to give any spoilers...

Journal Entry 14 by muizz from Nieuwegein, Utrecht Netherlands on Sunday, February 26, 2006
It took some time, but today the book will continue its journey. I will send it to dutch-flybaby.

Journal Entry 15 by dutch-flybabe from Ede, Gelderland Netherlands on Monday, February 27, 2006
I didn't expect this book, but it is very welcome as I liked the other Kingsolver book a lot and I only have one other bookring. Did you know I love Freddy Muizz, or was it just a coincidende you sent me this card? Anyway, I love it! Thanks for mailing the book.

Journal Entry 16 by dutch-flybabe from Ede, Gelderland Netherlands on Tuesday, March 14, 2006
I stayed in bed longer this morning to finish the book. It made me long for an extended family, not necessarily bloodrelatives, but people who are there for you and you are there for them whenever and for whatever reason. Turtle is one lucky child to have so many people who care about her!
Will pm Suzy26 for her address and send the book along asap. Thanks biba89 for sharing this wonderful book with us!

Released 13 yrs ago (3/16/2006 UTC) at A mailbox in town in Ede, Gelderland, Netherlands -- Controlled Releases

Mailed to Suzy26. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 18 by wingSuzy26wing from Delft, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, March 17, 2006
Received by mail today together with two pigs on a postcard. Thanks for sending the book and the card to me, Dutch-Flybaby and thank you Biba89 for ringing it.

Journal Entry 19 by wingSuzy26wing from Delft, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, April 09, 2006
p.170: When I was in my thirties I had these little square hips left over from being pregnant and I just hated it. I kept thinking, 'All those years before, I had a perfect glamour-girl body, and I didn't spend one minute appreciating it, because I thought my nose had a bump in it'. And now that I'm old, my shoulder hurts and I don't sleep good and my knuckles swell up, and I think, 'All those years in my thirties and forties I had a body where everything worked perfect. And I didn't spend one minute appreciating it, because I thought I had square hips.

The further adventures of Taylor and Turtle. The story isnot that spectacular, rather predictable even, but what makes this story so nice to read is the characters it is peopled with and the wise things they say.

Journal Entry 20 by wingSuzy26wing from Delft, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, April 13, 2006
Book is on its way back home.

Journal Entry 21 by biba89 from Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on Saturday, April 29, 2006
The book arrived home safely, thank you. Time for rereading!