His Bloody Project

by Graeme Macrae Burnet | Mystery & Thrillers |
ISBN: 1910192147 Global Overview for this book
Registered by dolph1n of Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on 4/13/2018
Journal Entry 1 by dolph1n from Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Friday, April 13, 2018
Given to me by a friend who likes the same books as me.

Journal Entry 2 by dolph1n at Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Saturday, April 28, 2018
I love the way this is written. It isn't a case of did he do it, because we know from the start that he did, but was he sane or not?
I very sad story but thoroughly enjoyable.

Journal Entry 3 by dolph1n at Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Monday, August 13, 2018

Released 5 mos ago (8/13/2018 UTC) at Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom

Sending as a RABCK

Journal Entry 4 by WormyOne at Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 15, 2018
Yippee!! Thanks so much!!

Here's the blurb:

"The year is 1869. A brutal triple murder in a remote community in the Scottish Highlands leads to the arrest of a young man by the name of Roderick Macrae.

A memoir written by the accused makes it clear that he is guilty, but it falls to the country's finest legal and psychiatric minds to uncover what drove him to commit such merciless acts of violence.

Was he mad? Only the persuasive powers of his advocate stand between Macrae and the gallows".

Journal Entry 5 by WormyOne at Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom on Sunday, September 02, 2018
I found this readable, intriguing and an eye-opener into the conditions of 19th century Highland crofters: at the mercy of harsh environmental conditions and even harsher societal ones.

I liked the way it starts from the point of view of a crofter before switching to more privileged and educated voices, that give you a different view of the crofting life. It's a shock when you hear ages, physical conditions etc and it does a great job of conveying the thinking of the time.

Genuine historical characters, such as the criminologist James Bruce Thomson, are involved to portray the emerging field of criminal psychology, and the limits of it: Roddy is either mad or bad; there are no other options.

The first half is more page-turning than the latter. The second half is in the form of reports on a trial and requires more active engagement to draw out the hidden truths: but it's worth it.

What I most liked is how it subtly, yet devastatingly, conveys the inability of those more privileged and educated people to communicate with the crofters. Cultural differences prevent the crofters from conveying, and others from understanding, the circumstances in which the crofters live, and the motivations for their actions.

There's also a nasty twist to leave you doubting the one voice you trusted throughout the novel.

Journal Entry 6 by WormyOne at Brighton Railway Station in Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom on Sunday, September 02, 2018

Released 4 mos ago (9/4/2018 UTC) at Brighton Railway Station in Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom

On seats, on the concourse, at about 09:30.