The Elephant Vanishes: Stories

by Haruki Murakami | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingAzukiwing of Miami, Florida USA on 4/11/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingAzukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Wednesday, April 11, 2018
A collection of some decidedly weird tales. Some of them I enjoy, while some of them, well, I just don't "feel" the characters. I have to say his characters are often a curious mix of mundaneness and quirkiness. My favorites are On Seeing the 100% Perfect Girl, The Last Lawn of the Afternoon, The Silence. I guess you can say that I prefer normalcy... The TV people does remind me a lot of the Little People in 1Q84.

Reserved this for my NSS partner. She has a few Murakami's books on her wishlist, I hope she hasn't read this one yet.

Journal Entry 2 by Wilena at Bordeaux, Aquitaine France on Saturday, April 21, 2018
I got it in the NSS, Thank you so much !

Journal Entry 3 by Wilena at Entraigues, Auvergne France on Thursday, January 10, 2019
A nice reading, I liked some of the stories but some were really weird... My prefered one is Sleep but the end leaves me wanting more...

It is a good discovery of the Japan of the 90's, the mariage looks like something very important through all the stories. It shows a still traditionnal society, I think it had changed by now.

Thanks a lot Azuki for this discovery. :-)

Journal Entry 4 by Wilena at Entraigues, Auvergne France on Thursday, January 10, 2019
I used this book for 2 challenges :
- the foreigner writer challenge for Japan :
- the french bingo challenge for a book I didn't know anything about before reading it :

Journal Entry 5 by Wilena at in the mail, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada on Thursday, January 10, 2019

Released 10 mos ago (1/10/2019 UTC) at in the mail, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

For the winner or the decoy of the "export an animal sweepstake ".

Have a nice reading !

Journal Entry 6 by wingmcsarwing at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Friday, February 01, 2019
I am the lucky decoy of this round. Thank you very much for this collection of short stories. I like Murakami and I like short stories, so I think I am going to enjoy this collection.