The Color Purple

by Alice Walker | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by book-a-billy of München, Bayern Germany on 4/10/2018
Journal Entry 1 by book-a-billy from München, Bayern Germany on Tuesday, April 10, 2018
Dear God: I am fourteen years old. I have always been a good girl. Maybe you can give me a sign letting me know what is happening to me ...
So begins Alice Walker's touching, complex and engrossing novel, set in the harsh, segregated world of the Deep South between the wars. Celie has been raped by a man she calls father; her two children are taken away from her; she has been forced into an ugly marriage. She has no one to talk to but God.
Then she meets Shug Avery, the singer, the magic woman, and discovers not the pain of rivalry but the love and support of women.

Journal Entry 2 by book-a-billy at München, Bayern Germany on Tuesday, April 10, 2018
A touching novel - written in the form of letters - which teaches you a lot about the life of American Africans in the South of the USA at the time between the wars and as well about life in Africa at that time. I watched the film long ago and think I will watch it again now that I have read the novel.