The Whale Rider

by witi ihimaera | Teens |
ISBN: 0152050167 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingerishkigalwing of Salt Lake City, Utah USA on 4/7/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingerishkigalwing from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Saturday, April 07, 2018
I loved the film when I saw it some years ago, so I was thrilled when I ran across a copy of the book : D

I LOVE the book as well!!

Amazon Editorial Review

Eight-year-old Kahu, a member of the Maori tribe of Whangara, New Zealand, fights to prove her love, her leadership, and her destiny. Her people claim descent from Kahutia Te Rangi, the legendary "whale rider." In every generation since Kahutia, a male heir has inherited the title of chief. But now there is no male heir, and the aging chief is desperate to find a successor. Kahu is his only great-grandchild--and Maori tradition has no use for a girl. But when hundreds of whales beach themselves and threaten the future of the Maori tribe, it is Kahu who saves the tribe when she reveals that she has the whale rider's ancient gift of communicating with whales.

Journal Entry 2 by wingerishkigalwing at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Saturday, April 07, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (4/12/2018 UTC) at Salt Lake City, Utah USA

Releasing into AlterEgoZoe's Indigenous Peoples Bookbox.

Journal Entry 3 by AlterEgoZoe at Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, June 23, 2018
Came home in the indigenous peoples bookbox. Looks like an interesting read.

Journal Entry 4 by AlterEgoZoe at Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, September 21, 2018
I really wanted to like this book, but couldn’t get into it. Will share.

Journal Entry 5 by AlterEgoZoe at Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, February 23, 2019

Released 5 mos ago (2/23/2019 UTC) at Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA

Put in the feminism/girl power box.

When he looked up again Tas had gone. Rising to join the others, he caught sight of something small and abandoned on the floor. "Tas you forgot your pipe." He picked it up and then saw words carved into the wood he had not seen before. Find the music, find the magic.
"Did you carve this?"
Tas did not turn. "Yes," he said, reluctantly. "I have to leave it."
"But, Tas, why?"
Tas squared his shoulders as though firming some resolve. But still he did not turn. "Because the shepherd said that it could only be used once. Thats why I can't get the pipe to play that song-or any song. I've used the magic." He took a deep breath and went on. "And he said that once I found the magic I had the pass the pipe on." he paused and then he did turn, a scamp's humor in his long brown eyes. "It's going to be a long winter. I'm going to leave it here for someone else to find."
"Snowsong" by Nancy Varian Berberick

Found a book? Find the magic! Welcome to BookCrossing!! If you are already a member, "Hello!", if you have only just found this lovely site, welcome!

Congratulations on finding a released BookCrossing book! You can now register on the site, if you want to. It's free to register, but of course you can remain anon. It's up to you!

If you do decide to join, please add me as your referring member, AlterEgoZoe. Thanks!

Most of all, enjoy the book, and enjoy BookCrossing!

Journal Entry 6 by wingSpatialwing at Moneta, Virginia USA on Thursday, March 28, 2019
♀ ♀ ♀ ♀ ♀ ♀ ♀ ♀ ♀ ♀

Taken from the Feminism / Girl Power Bookbox.

It has one of Dark_Draco's labels in it!

I remember when the movie came out...but I can't remember if I watched it. :/

💞 💞 💞 💞 💞 💞💞 💞 💞 💞

Journal Entry 7 by wingSpatialwing at ABC Book Box, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Released 4 mos ago (4/17/2019 UTC) at ABC Book Box, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩

Adding to the restarted ABC Bookbox.

✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩

Journal Entry 8 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, April 26, 2019
I'm claiming this from the Already Been Crossed bookbox! It inspired the lovely 2002 film. The story touches on several things, from tradition (good and bad) to family relationships to nature, with a strong theme of making one's own choices.

[There's a TV Tropes page on the film and novel.]

Journal Entry 9 by wingGoryDetailswing at Patch Hill Trails (see notes) in Amherst, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, May 08, 2019

Released 3 mos ago (5/8/2019 UTC) at Patch Hill Trails (see notes) in Amherst, New Hampshire USA

I left this book, bagged against the elements, at the trailhead on Lyndeborough Road in Amherst; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2019 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***