Disrobed: How Clothing Predicts Economic Cycles, Saves Lives, and Determines the Future

by Syl Tang | Nonfiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by thingamabrarian of Los Altos, California USA on 4/9/2018
Journal Entry 1 by thingamabrarian from Los Altos, California USA on Monday, April 09, 2018
We may not often think of our clothes as having a function beyond covering our naked bodies and keeping us a little safer from the elements. But to discount the enormous influence of clothing on anything from economic cycles to the future of water scarcity is to ignore the greater meaning of the garments we put on our backs. Disrobed vividly considers the role that clothing plays in everything from natural disasters to climate change to terrorism to geopolitics to agribusiness. Chapter by chapter, Tang takes the reader on an unusual journey, telling stories and asking questions that most consumers have never considered about their clothing. Why do banker’s wives sell off their clothes and how does that presage a recession? How is clothing linked to ethanol and starvation on the African continent? Could RFID in clothing save the lives of millions of people in earthquakes around the world?