Honolulu Prepares for Japan's Attack

by Rodney T. West | History | This book has not been rated.
Registered by winghyphen8wing of Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua Mexico on 3/24/2018
Journal Entry 1 by winghyphen8wing from Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua Mexico on Saturday, March 24, 2018
This is not an ordinary book: it's a BookCrossing book! BookCrossing books are world travelers - they like to have adventures and make new friends...and every once in a while they even write home to say what they've been doing.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Subtitle: May 15, 1940 to December 8, 1941.

Picked up new at a Friends of the Library sale on the day of our false missile alert: how could I not?

As a practicing physician in Honolulu at the time, Dr. West was well-positioned to be aware of the preparations that were taking place. My folks were only kids, but I recognized quite a few names (and of course locations). I was impressed with the strenuous preparations by the sugar plantations: I know they were a major part of the economy then but the number of resources they made available for attack preparedness still surprised me a bit.

(Reading this also confirmed my opinion that Roosevelt's description of a "dastardly sneak attack" was a bit exaggerated, since an attack on Hawaii was clearly anticipated for quite some time before it actually happened: the surprise was mostly when - not if - the assault would happen.)

I'll offer this to Mom to see if she wants to read it before I let it go.

Journal Entry 2 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Wednesday, February 20, 2019
Reserved for booklady331's nonfiction VBB (round 9).

Journal Entry 3 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Released 3 mos ago (10/15/2019 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Tuesday, October 15, 2019: headed for Florida!

Released for Secretariat's 2019 NJABBIC challenge (week 41: mountains & hills) and DragonGoddess's Tick Tock challenge. Since I live next to Diamond Head (the mountain shown on the cover of the book), I'm calling it a local book release as well.

USPS tracking 9549 0104 3301 9288 6182 03
ETA 11/04/19

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm so glad you've found this book! Won't you make a journal entry so the previous readers know that it's safe with you?

This is now your book, for you to do with as you please: keep it as long as you wish, pass it to a friend, or maybe even leave it where someone else can find it!

If you've ever wondered where your books go after they leave your hands, join BookCrossing and you may find out: you'll be able to follow your books as new readers make journal entries - sometimes from surprisingly far-flung locations.

BookCrossing: making the whole world a library!

Journal Entry 4 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Tuesday, November 26, 2019
Thank you for sharing this book with me. It won't take long to read. Thank you also for the two corner bookmarkers. I appreciate you sending them.