corner corner Uncle Tungsten: Memories of a Chemical Boyhood

Uncle Tungsten: Memories of a Chemical Boyhood
by Oliver Sacks | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by wingchawosowing of Heusenstamm, Hessen Germany on 3/24/2018

status (set by over-the-moon): available

Journal Entry 1 by wingchawosowing from Heusenstamm, Hessen Germany on Saturday, March 24, 2018

Read it years ago and I liked it so much ...

Now I found it on someone's wishlist ;-)

Journal Entry 2 by wingchawosowing at Bordeaux, Aquitaine France on Sunday, March 25, 2018

Released 3 mos ago (4/22/2018 UTC) at Bordeaux, Aquitaine France

This wishlist book is part of the NSS gift.

Enjoy and happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by wingover-the-moonwing at Bordeaux, Aquitaine France on Monday, April 23, 2018

Absolutely delighted to find this in my NSS parcel - I've been reading a lot of Sacks at the moment and this one was highly recommended by some of the ladies in my reading group. Thank you so much, chawoso!

Journal Entry 4 by wingover-the-moonwing at Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Saturday, June 23, 2018

I haven't quite finished this but I'm finding it spell-binding, which surprises me a little as I never enjoyed chemistry lessons at school. But here, Sacks amalgamates his discovery of chemicals and various physical phenomena with memories of his childhood and family and brings it all to life. Many of his relatives had a scientific bent and he was encouraged to experiment with metals and gases at a tender age, at the risk of blowing up the house.

Journal Entry 5 by wingover-the-moonwing at Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Sunday, June 24, 2018

The end of the book became more involved with numbers as Sacks studies the periodic table and the order of the elements as drawn up by Mendeleev. I felt a little overwhelmed with it all but read and tried to absorb it all in bewildered fascination. So, we conclude that God is a mathematician?

I feel a need to visit the crystals in geology museum.

If I gave this nine stars instead of ten it is because I am not a fan of lengthy footnotes, one of Sack's foibles (even though the information gathered there is always interesting. I'd just rather it were included in the main text rather than distracting me.).