The Hate U Give

by Angie Thomas | Teens |
Registered by wingchrissiniwing of Graz, Steiermark Austria on 3/22/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingchrissiniwing from Graz, Steiermark Austria on Thursday, March 22, 2018
Sixteen-year-old Starr Carter moves between two worlds: the poor neighborhood where she lives and the fancy suburban prep school she attends. The uneasy balance between these worlds is shattered when Starr witnesses the fatal shooting of her childhood best friend Khalil at the hands of a police officer. Khalil was unarmed.
Soon afterward, his death is a national headline. Some are calling him a thug, maybe even a drug dealer and a gangbanger. Protesters are taking to the streets in Khalil’s name. Some cops and the local drug lord try to intimidate Starr and her family. What everyone wants to know is: what really went down that night? And the only person alive who can answer that is Starr.
But what Starr does—or does not—say could upend her community. It could also endanger her life.

Journal Entry 2 by wingchrissiniwing at Graz, Steiermark Austria on Sunday, July 15, 2018
Offered in the one book a month - thread.

Journal Entry 3 by wingchrissiniwing at Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, July 30, 2018

Released 2 yrs ago (7/30/2018 UTC) at Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

The book is going to Spatial - congrats! Hope it'll arrive at your place soon :)

Journal Entry 4 by wingSpatialwing at Arlington, Virginia USA on Saturday, August 11, 2018
Book arrived today! Thank you chrissini for offering this book in greenbadger's one book a month thread! And I adore the Venetian bookmark!

There are so many people interested in reading this book that I may look into doing a Bookray, of some sort, once I've read it.

Journal Entry 5 by wingSpatialwing at Moneta, Virginia USA on Wednesday, September 12, 2018
♥♥♥ One of my favorite books read in 2018. ♥♥♥

Amazing book! One of the best I've read this year! So well written. I went on a roller coaster of emotion, and as I said before, I don't know when my eyes will ever be dry again! Angie Thomas knows how to bring her characters to life. You feel like you are right there with them through the pain and the laughter.

This past year I've read some great moments in authors' acknowledgments/etc. Thomas ends her Acknowledgments with an inspiring dedication (there are many but wanted to single this one out):

And to every kid in Georgetown and in all "the Gardens" of the world: your voice matters, your dreams matter, your lives matter. Be roses that grow in the concrete.

Journal Entry 6 by wingSpatialwing at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada on Friday, October 05, 2018

Released 2 yrs ago (10/5/2018 UTC) at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

The Hate U Give is headed out on its

10. LoreleiLee (PA) [Asked to be skipped]
11. CanticleLost (FL) [Asked to be skipped]
12. mamagoggle (NJ)
13. Barcino (CA)
14. mysticalzoe (ME) <--Book is here!
15. tenscentpistol (NY)
16. MaycombMaudie (TN)

Journal Entry 7 by Ollie1976 at Hillsboro, Oregon USA on Wednesday, October 10, 2018
received as part of bookray

Journal Entry 8 by Ollie1976 at Hillsboro, Oregon USA on Friday, November 09, 2018

Released 2 yrs ago (11/9/2018 UTC) at Hillsboro, Oregon USA

sending it along

Journal Entry 9 by AlterEgoZoe at Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, November 15, 2018
Received yesterday (11/14) will read it ASAP

Journal Entry 10 by AlterEgoZoe at Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, December 10, 2018
I really enjoyed this book-really good for the author’s first novel. Hope the movie is just as good :)

Will send to the next participant as soon as I get an address.

Journal Entry 11 by AlterEgoZoe at Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, December 14, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (12/13/2018 UTC) at Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA

Mailed today. Tracking number: (number removed by BookBird’s request, after they received the book).

Journal Entry 12 by BookBirds at Somewhere in the USA, -- Wild Released somewhere in USA -- USA on Sunday, December 23, 2018
The book has arrived! Thanks for sharing! I appreciate it. To be honest, it might be a minute before I can get to this one.

Journal Entry 13 by BookBirds at Somewhere in the USA, -- Wild Released somewhere in USA -- USA on Sunday, April 14, 2019
This ones a heart breaker. Sheesh. Angie Thomas writes a vivid story of teenager Starr's life and the quick and unjustified shooting by cop of her friend Khalil. Starr is there with him. The world sees Khalil as a thug and Starr must tell the world who the true Khalil is. Not that being in the "thug category" in any way shape or form tips the scales towards a reason for a person to be unjustly murdered. But man, it seems like this happens a lot in real life, many cops walking after shooting innocent people. Has any cop ever been punished for doing this? And why is it almost always black people that are shot? But doesn't that mean cops feel like they have a pass to get away with whatever they do, whatever happens? I'm sure WAY more white people carry guns around that cops should be worried about. On the other hand, I don't want to be the white girl who says "cops don't have easy jobs". I know I personally could NOT be a police officer... I realize that this book is not the story of the cop who shot Khalil, but no one knows what he could have went through in his life. Starr and Khalil were at a party where another teenager was shot and killed... what if that officer had just seen the aftermath and was rattled, or 1,000 other similar situations? There are always two sides to a story, just like the cop not knowing Khalil's life and basing his actions on presumptions. But I guess the point here is the cop wouldn't have been charged anyway, no matter what. These shootings of innocents seem to be happening more often, BUT hopefully it's because they are getting into the news more. I imagine in previous decades they'd be swept under the rug, not spoken of in the news. I really only mention the cops perspective, because otherwise, it's very noticeable what a great job Thomas does at writing about things from many angles to keep things very real. Thomas makes a terrifying thought very clear: sometimes people must live between gangs and the cops who can get away with the death of children. At times that must feel like a very thin line. The system is all in that title. But it's easy to just see COP as it is just as easy to just see BLACK. Also, Starr is one of the few people of color at her high school. I've always admired the kids who had the strength to go through that high school mayhem, because even if the other kids are treating that kid better for their difference, it STILL sets them apart even in a positive way, they are still being put on a pedestal for their difference. So of course Starr needs to be (and is) strong and amazing in many areas of her life. The book is written in a very flowing style and very real... I don't read too many YA books these days but there is a LOT of swearing here. I really hope this book won't be banned from kids... as it's definitely an important and necessary book. The book made me cry a few times. It's just heartbreaking that anyone must go through things like this, STILL. As Starr says "I think it'll change one day... When? I definitely don't know." The existence of this book should (hopefully) make things change faster... especially if some cops read it. Starr is a badass human being. Angie Thomas is a badass writer. Thank you for writing this book.

Thanks so much for sharing, Spatial. Again I'm very sorry for taking so long to get to this book! It was well worth the wait.

Journal Entry 14 by BookBirds at Somewhere in the USA, -- Wild Released somewhere in USA -- USA on Thursday, May 02, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (5/2/2019 UTC) at Somewhere in the USA, -- Wild Released somewhere in USA -- USA

All packaged up and ready to go to Allebasi15! Enjoy! Thanks so much again for sharing this book.

Journal Entry 15 by Allebasi15 at -- Mail or by hand-ring, RABCK, meetings, Wisconsin USA on Monday, May 27, 2019
Received this as part of a book bookray. Will read promptly! Thank you BookBird for sending it along!

Journal Entry 16 by Allebasi15 at -- Mail or by hand-ring, RABCK, meetings, Wisconsin USA on Tuesday, May 28, 2019
This was an excellent book hence the fact that I read it in one day. I think books like these are extremely important in today’s age.

I will be sending this book off hopefully in the next week to the next reader!

Journal Entry 17 by Allebasi15 at -- Mail or by hand-ring, RABCK, meetings, Wisconsin USA on Thursday, June 06, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (6/6/2019 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-ring, RABCK, meetings, Wisconsin USA

This book is on its way to hyphen8! It has an expected arrival date of Wednesday, 19 June. Hyphen8 has also been given the tracking number for this book. Happy BookCrossing!!

Journal Entry 18 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Wednesday, July 03, 2019
Hardcover with dust jacket; arrived on 6/21, just after I left on vacation. I got back yesterday, so I'm trying to catch up. I hope to start reading this book soon.

Journal Entry 19 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, August 03, 2019
Just an update: sorry I'm a bit slow. Still reading (about halfway through) but will try to get this moving again soon..

Journal Entry 20 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Thursday, August 08, 2019
Not an easy read (and a bit too bulky to be carried around with me, so it took longer to get through) but a worthwhile one. One of the many messages is a reminder that even people you don't know are multi-faceted: no one can be defined solely by where they live or what they look like, and shorthand labels (gangbanger, token, etc.) don't begin to tell the whole story.

Whether she thinks so or not, Starr is brave, and what she has to say should make you think.

I've sent a PM to Chicvolley99 and will get the book in the mail soon.

Journal Entry 21 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, August 11, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (8/10/2019 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Saturday, August 10, 2019: bookray headed for Colorado via media mail.

USPS tracking 9549 0104 3301 9222 5872 13
ETA 8/29/19

Released for Secretariat's 2019 NJABBIC challenge (week 32: books for kids & teens)

(Journal image from ApoloniaX)

Journal Entry 22 by Chicvolley99 at Denver, Colorado USA on Tuesday, September 03, 2019
Received today in the mail. I will start reading this ASAP.

This was a decent enough book. I was hooked at the beginning, but it just seemed to drag on for me. I realize how timely this is. Perhaps I will see the movie and see how it compares.

Journal Entry 23 by Chicvolley99 at Denver, Colorado USA on Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (10/16/2019 UTC) at Denver, Colorado USA

Releasing to BOOKWORMINUSALL as part of a book ray. Please enjoy!

Journal Entry 24 by wingBOOKWORMINUSALLwing at Mesa, Arizona USA on Sunday, October 20, 2019
Arrived this afternoon (Saturday, 19 October 2019) and I'm looking forward to reading it. Thank you for sending it, Chicvolley99...and thank YOU for including me in your very first Bookray, Spatial!!! 😊

From Amazon...

Journal Entry 25 by wingBOOKWORMINUSALLwing at Mesa, Arizona USA on Sunday, October 27, 2019
Made the "mistake" of reading a few pages when this long awaited Bookray arrived a few days ago, and was unable to put it down to go back to my other current read. I'll be sending it off to the next in line (adrienne10) next week sometime, as I've already finished reading it as part of Katethegreyt's October Readathon in the Book Talk Forum...there's still time to join in. ; )

It was a well-written excellent read...in my humble opinion, and should certainly not be limited to the Teen and Young Adult Genre it is attached to. Banned/Challenged book, or not...I think that this multiple award winning novel that expanded from a short story written for the teen author's senior creative writing program surely must have been a cathartic experience for her, and may well provide the same healing for many others who read it. At the very least, it will create greater awareness in those who have difficulty walking in another's shoes before passing judgment, as it tackles topics of racism, gangs, police violence, and interracial dating...to name a few, from the viewpoint some of the children of the world and their families experience them. We are all one people, the world is more than black or white, and the dynamics presented in this timely, realistic, topical story not only cross all boundaries, but have been presented in a thoughtful, respectful, real world manner...however, some will have to take off their blinders & open their hearts and minds to experience this, especially with some of the lingo & vulgar language used, & the violence described.

Journal Entry 26 by wingBOOKWORMINUSALLwing at Lynnwood, Washington USA on Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (10/29/2019 UTC) at Lynnwood, Washington USA

USPS Tracking # 9549012652499302226367
Expected delivery: 4 November 2019

HAPPY READING! : )

Journal Entry 27 by adrienne10 at Seattle, Washington USA on Tuesday, November 05, 2019
Arrived in the mail today! I'm going to put this at the top of Mt. TBR and can hopefully get it sent along before the holidays slow down shipping and make lines at the post office long.

Journal Entry 28 by adrienne10 at Seattle, Washington USA on Sunday, November 17, 2019
I'd heard quite a bit about this book and had been hoping to read it for a long time. A fellow bookcrosser invited me to participate in a bookring for it, and it came my way this month.

This book deserves all the accolades it has received. It's a great read! My only concern is that it is already a little dated only two years after publication. I don't know how you tell this story without it becoming dated. I strongly recommend that this book go on your reading list now and you read it now.

I read this right after reading Sula by Toni Morrison, which is an interesting and difficult convergence of stories.

Starr is a believable 16-year-old girl, with all the concerns of one with the added burden of living two lives, one at home and one at school. Add in the events in the second chapter of the book, and this story becomes an emotional roller coaster.

Thank you to Spatial at Bookcrossing for loaning this book to me.

I have mamagoggle's address and will send when I next go to the post office.

Journal Entry 29 by mamagoggle at Middlesex, New Jersey USA on Monday, December 30, 2019
I really enjoyed this book. It was an important, thought provoking read.
Sending it on to Barcino today.

Journal Entry 30 by Barcino at Berkeley, California USA on Sunday, January 05, 2020
Received today. Very exciting to be starting the New Year with such good books.
Thank you mamagoggle for sending it.

Will move it forward asap.

Journal Entry 31 by Barcino at Berkeley, California USA on Saturday, January 11, 2020
Wow. That was a heavy one. Ready to pass it on to the next in line as soon as I get their address. Something thinking in the process.

Journal Entry 32 by Barcino at Gardiner, Maine USA on Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Released 10 mos ago (1/14/2020 UTC) at Gardiner, Maine USA

Passing it on to mysticalzoe as part of the The Hate U Give bookray:

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 33 by rem_EOL-341852 at Gardiner, Maine USA on Saturday, January 18, 2020
Received this evening and will start reading after I finish another book.