The Hate U Give

by Angie Thomas | Teens |
Registered by chrissini of Graz, Steiermark Austria on 3/22/2018
Journal Entry 1 by chrissini from Graz, Steiermark Austria on Thursday, March 22, 2018
Sixteen-year-old Starr Carter moves between two worlds: the poor neighborhood where she lives and the fancy suburban prep school she attends. The uneasy balance between these worlds is shattered when Starr witnesses the fatal shooting of her childhood best friend Khalil at the hands of a police officer. Khalil was unarmed.
Soon afterward, his death is a national headline. Some are calling him a thug, maybe even a drug dealer and a gangbanger. Protesters are taking to the streets in Khalil’s name. Some cops and the local drug lord try to intimidate Starr and her family. What everyone wants to know is: what really went down that night? And the only person alive who can answer that is Starr.
But what Starr does—or does not—say could upend her community. It could also endanger her life.

Journal Entry 2 by chrissini at Graz, Steiermark Austria on Sunday, July 15, 2018
Offered in the one book a month - thread.

Journal Entry 3 by chrissini at Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, July 30, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (7/30/2018 UTC) at Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

The book is going to Spatial - congrats! Hope it'll arrive at your place soon :)

Journal Entry 4 by wingSpatialwing at Arlington, Virginia USA on Saturday, August 11, 2018
Book arrived today! Thank you chrissini for offering this book in greenbadger's one book a month thread! And I adore the Venetian bookmark!

There are so many people interested in reading this book that I may look into doing a Bookray, of some sort, once I've read it.

Journal Entry 5 by wingSpatialwing at Moneta, Virginia USA on Wednesday, September 12, 2018
♥♥♥ One of my favorite books read in 2018. ♥♥♥

Amazing book! One of the best I've read this year! So well written. I went on a roller coaster of emotion, and as I said before, I don't know when my eyes will ever be dry again! Angie Thomas knows how to bring her characters to life. You feel like you are right there with them through the pain and the laughter.

This past year I've read some great moments in authors' acknowledgments/etc. Thomas ends her Acknowledgments with an inspiring dedication (there are many but wanted to single this one out):

And to every kid in Georgetown and in all "the Gardens" of the world: your voice matters, your dreams matter, your lives matter. Be roses that grow in the concrete.

Journal Entry 6 by wingSpatialwing at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Friday, October 05, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (10/5/2018 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

2. AlterEgoZoe (PA)
3. BookBirds (NY)
4. Allebasi15 (IA)
5. hyphen8 (HI)
6. Chicvolley99 (CO) <--Book is here!
7. BOOKWORMINUSALL (AZ)
8. originalslicey (KS) [Skip- has obtained own copy]
9. adrienne10 (WA)
10. LoreleiLee (PA)
11. CanticleLost (FL)
12. mamagoggle (NJ)
13. Barcino (CA)
14. mysticalzoe (ME)

Journal Entry 7 by Ollie1976 at Hillsboro, Oregon USA on Wednesday, October 10, 2018
received as part of bookray

Journal Entry 8 by Ollie1976 at Hillsboro, Oregon USA on Friday, November 09, 2018

Released 11 mos ago (11/9/2018 UTC) at Hillsboro, Oregon USA

sending it along

Journal Entry 9 by AlterEgoZoe at Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, November 15, 2018
Received yesterday (11/14) will read it ASAP

Journal Entry 10 by AlterEgoZoe at Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, December 10, 2018
I really enjoyed this book-really good for the author’s first novel. Hope the movie is just as good :)

Will send to the next participant as soon as I get an address.

Journal Entry 11 by AlterEgoZoe at Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, December 14, 2018

Released 10 mos ago (12/13/2018 UTC) at Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA

Mailed today. Tracking number: (number removed by BookBird’s request, after they received the book).

Journal Entry 12 by BookBirds at -- wild in the usa, -- Wild Released somewhere in USA -- USA on Sunday, December 23, 2018
The book has arrived! Thanks for sharing! I appreciate it. To be honest, it might be a minute before I can get to this one.

Journal Entry 13 by BookBirds at -- wild in the usa, -- Wild Released somewhere in USA -- USA on Sunday, April 14, 2019
This ones a heart breaker. Sheesh. Angie Thomas writes a vivid story of teenager Starr's life and the quick and unjustified shooting by cop of her friend Khalil. Starr is there with him. The world sees Khalil as a thug and Starr must tell the world who the true Khalil is. Not that being in the "thug category" in any way shape or form tips the scales towards a reason for a person to be unjustly murdered. But man, it seems like this happens a lot in real life, many cops walking after shooting innocent people. Has any cop ever been punished for doing this? And why is it almost always black people that are shot? But doesn't that mean cops feel like they have a pass to get away with whatever they do, whatever happens? I'm sure WAY more white people carry guns around that cops should be worried about. On the other hand, I don't want to be the white girl who says "cops don't have easy jobs". I know I personally could NOT be a police officer... I realize that this book is not the story of the cop who shot Khalil, but no one knows what he could have went through in his life. Starr and Khalil were at a party where another teenager was shot and killed... what if that officer had just seen the aftermath and was rattled, or 1,000 other similar situations? There are always two sides to a story, just like the cop not knowing Khalil's life and basing his actions on presumptions. But I guess the point here is the cop wouldn't have been charged anyway, no matter what. These shootings of innocents seem to be happening more often, BUT hopefully it's because they are getting into the news more. I imagine in previous decades they'd be swept under the rug, not spoken of in the news. I really only mention the cops perspective, because otherwise, it's very noticeable what a great job Thomas does at writing about things from many angles to keep things very real. Thomas makes a terrifying thought very clear: sometimes people must live between gangs and the cops who can get away with the death of children. At times that must feel like a very thin line. The system is all in that title. But it's easy to just see COP as it is just as easy to just see BLACK. Also, Starr is one of the few people of color at her high school. I've always admired the kids who had the strength to go through that high school mayhem, because even if the other kids are treating that kid better for their difference, it STILL sets them apart even in a positive way, they are still being put on a pedestal for their difference. So of course Starr needs to be (and is) strong and amazing in many areas of her life. The book is written in a very flowing style and very real... I don't read too many YA books these days but there is a LOT of swearing here. I really hope this book won't be banned from kids... as it's definitely an important and necessary book. The book made me cry a few times. It's just heartbreaking that anyone must go through things like this, STILL. As Starr says "I think it'll change one day... When? I definitely don't know." The existence of this book should (hopefully) make things change faster... especially if some cops read it. Starr is a badass human being. Angie Thomas is a badass writer. Thank you for writing this book.

Thanks so much for sharing, Spatial. Again I'm very sorry for taking so long to get to this book! It was well worth the wait.

Journal Entry 14 by BookBirds at -- wild in the usa, -- Wild Released somewhere in USA -- USA on Thursday, May 02, 2019

Released 5 mos ago (5/2/2019 UTC) at -- wild in the usa, -- Wild Released somewhere in USA -- USA

All packaged up and ready to go to Allebasi15! Enjoy! Thanks so much again for sharing this book.

Journal Entry 15 by Allebasi15 at -- Mail or by hand-ring, RABCK, meetings, Wisconsin USA on Monday, May 27, 2019
Received this as part of a book bookray. Will read promptly! Thank you BookBird for sending it along!

Journal Entry 16 by Allebasi15 at -- Mail or by hand-ring, RABCK, meetings, Wisconsin USA on Tuesday, May 28, 2019
This was an excellent book hence the fact that I read it in one day. I think books like these are extremely important in today’s age.

I will be sending this book off hopefully in the next week to the next reader!

Journal Entry 17 by Allebasi15 at -- Mail or by hand-ring, RABCK, meetings, Wisconsin USA on Thursday, June 06, 2019

Released 4 mos ago (6/6/2019 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-ring, RABCK, meetings, Wisconsin USA

This book is on its way to hyphen8! It has an expected arrival date of Wednesday, 19 June. Hyphen8 has also been given the tracking number for this book. Happy BookCrossing!!

Journal Entry 18 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Wednesday, July 03, 2019
Hardcover with dust jacket; arrived on 6/21, just after I left on vacation. I got back yesterday, so I'm trying to catch up. I hope to start reading this book soon.

Journal Entry 19 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, August 03, 2019
Just an update: sorry I'm a bit slow. Still reading (about halfway through) but will try to get this moving again soon..

Journal Entry 20 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Thursday, August 08, 2019
Not an easy read (and a bit too bulky to be carried around with me, so it took longer to get through) but a worthwhile one. One of the many messages is a reminder that even people you don't know are multi-faceted: no one can be defined solely by where they live or what they look like, and shorthand labels (gangbanger, token, etc.) don't begin to tell the whole story.

Whether she thinks so or not, Starr is brave, and what she has to say should make you think.

I've sent a PM to Chicvolley99 and will get the book in the mail soon.

Journal Entry 21 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, August 11, 2019

Released 2 mos ago (8/10/2019 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Saturday, August 10, 2019: bookray headed for Colorado via media mail.

USPS tracking 9549 0104 3301 9222 5872 13
ETA 8/29/19

Released for Secretariat's 2019 NJABBIC challenge (week 32: books for kids & teens)

(Journal image from ApoloniaX)

Journal Entry 22 by Chicvolley99 at Denver, Colorado USA on Tuesday, September 03, 2019
Received today in the mail. I will start reading this ASAP.