Desert Run

by Betty Webb | Mystery & Thrillers |
ISBN: 037318980X Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 3/21/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, March 21, 2018
I found this paperback at a local Savers thrift shop. I've enjoyed some of Webb's "Gunn Zoo" books; this is not from that series, so it'll be interesting to see how it differs.

Later: Very different in tone, both more realistic and more gritty. Heroine Lena is now an attractive and reasonably successful private detective, but she grew up in abusive foster homes after being born into a cult and nearly killed by her own mother. Despite all this, and some justifiable issues with intimacy, she's managing pretty well - but as of this story she faces some personal shakeups, from the retirement of a local police official who's been a beloved mentor to the departure of her trusted right-hand man to a new wife and a different job. And then there's the temptingly sexy director who's in town filming a documentary about a German POW camp from which a famous mass escape took place...

When the elderly ex-U-Boat captain who was contributing to the film winds up brutally killed, Lena gets involved in an investigation that touches on the conditions in the POW camp, the escape, and a long-unsolved murder of almost an entire family at about the same time as the escape... with new crimes occurring as the investigation brings skeletons (literal and figurative) to light. I really enjoyed the story, and while a few of the twists and turns stretched credibility, for the most part it worked. I'll be reading more of Lena's adventures...

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Greeley Park in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, March 23, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (3/23/2018 UTC) at Greeley Park in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book, bagged against the elements, on a bench on the Manchester Street side of the park, while doing some geocaching in the area; hope the finder enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Four Elements Release Challenge. ***