Never After

by Rebecca Lickiss | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 3/21/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, March 21, 2018
I got this paperback at a local Savers thrift shop, attracted by the cover-art - and by the premise: there's prince Athelstane seeking a bride, his cousin Lady Vevila craving adventure, and his friend Mazigian seeking a job now that he's a full-fledged wizard. Their goal? A remote castle hidden behind thorny walls, in which a princess - and three princes! - lie asleep, waiting to be magically awakened...

There are many amusing elements here, not least the "spot the fairy-tale reference" game. Among the other fun bits: Mazigian gets cursed to speak only in quotes from Shakespeare, which tests his memory and both amuses and annoys everybody else; the ever-growing glut of princes and princesses, some in disguise, some under enchantment, some fake (the princess-and-the-pea test makes an appearance), and all drawn to the biggest royal-matchmaking-magical-mixer of all time; poor Vevila having to go through all the heroine-tropes while wearing a series of fancy dresses (which do not fare well with all the running and climbing and escaping); the bit where the witch says she did NOT curse the princess with sleep - keeping her quiet and safe for a hundred years was a miracle, not a curse {snerk}; and the various major and minor characters work out their fates (or have them worked out for them) in a satisfactory manner by the end of the story.

That said, the book does have its flaws. Athelstane, nominal lead character, is pretty tedious and thick, and while that has its humorous moments I found myself begrudging every scene he was in. And I thought that the whole sleeping-princes subplot was rather thrown away; I'd have played with that part of the story in a very different manner. But overall it's an amusing romp.

[For another all-the-fairy-tales comedic fantasy, check out Terry Pratchett's Witches Abroad - it's one of the best of the excellent "Discworld" books! And I had to wonder whether the character of Tom, the cat-turned-coachman in Never After, was inspired by Greebo from Witches Abroad...]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, May 03, 2018

Released 9 mos ago (5/4/2018 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this to the Otherworldly bookbox, which will be on its way to its next stop soon. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by AlterEgoZoe at Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, May 08, 2018
Taken out of the Otherworldly box.

Journal Entry 4 by AlterEgoZoe at Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, December 24, 2018
Was hoping I’d like this but couldn’t get into it.