The Secret Garden (Barnes & Noble Classics)

by Frances Hodgson Burnett | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 3/21/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, March 21, 2018
I found this good-condition softcover at a local Goodwill thrift shop, and nabbed it for another release copy. This edition has an interesting introduction by Jill Muller, and includes illustrations by Charles Robinson.

One of my all-time favorite children's books [which I re-read now and then despite being well out of childhood], this is a classic - and also a ripping good yarn. The descriptions of the terrible epidemic that costs Mary her parents, the daunting, gloomy old house she finds herself in, the mysterious sounds in the night, the explorations of rooms that haven't been opened in months or years, and of course the finding of the garden itself, all are wildly atmospheric and suspenseful. I still love the way that things begin to come right with only the barest of assistance from the few adults willing to pay any attention to the children - they get most of it done themselves, and it's very satisfying.

The book has been adapted to film and TV several times, with varying degrees of success. For me, one of the more charming adaptations was this 1975 series.

[There's a TV Tropes page for the book (and various film adaptations), with some entertaining info.]

Released 10 mos ago (4/16/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, 191 Marden Rd. in Wilton, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library on this chilly day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 April Showers/May Flowers release challenge. ***