Unhallowed Ground (Chronicles of Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon)

by Mel Starr | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingbookstogivewing of Springville, Tennessee USA on 3/16/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingbookstogivewing from Springville, Tennessee USA on Friday, March 16, 2018

Journal Entry 2 by wingbookstogivewing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, November 02, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (11/2/2018 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

To the finder of this book:

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, November 05, 2018
The ex-library softcover wishlist book arrived safely today - many thanks! I've been enjoying this series, which began with The Unquiet Bones, and am delighted to have this one!

Later: Another entertaining entry in the series - with the twist that poor Hugh finds himself seeking the killer of the most hated and vile man in the entire area, with a very good chance that the murderer is one of his friends... Indeed, the death is assumed to be suicide by nearly everyone until Hugh notices telltale signs that it was murder, and in a time when suicides can't be buried in sacred ground the distinction is of great moment to the dead man's widow.

This was a tricky case, as ALL the sympathy is with whoever did away with the wretched man; he was truly appalling, a thief and swindler, bully and rapist and murderer, somehow clever enough to avoid being brought to justice for his many, many crimes but otherwise with no redeeming value. Hugh knows this, but has a sense of justice that won't let him set the case aside - even when someone seems to be threatening him and his pregnant wife!

As always, I appreciated the historical details regarding the lives of the villagers, including many who live hand-to-mouth and whose very survival is at the whim of the bullies, blackguards, and/or the powerful. And it was nice to see Hugh happily settled with his beloved Kate, after he went through a number of romantic ups and downs.

Released 10 mos ago (3/12/2019 UTC) at Main Street (see notes for details) in Sturbridge, Massachusetts USA

I plan to leave this book in or near BT's Smokehouse while stopping by for some of their delicious barbeque. Hope the finder enjoys the book!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2019 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***