Queen Sugar

by Natalie Baszile | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by winghyphen8wing of Honolulu, Hawaii USA on 3/14/2018
Journal Entry 1 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Wednesday, March 14, 2018
This is not an ordinary book: it's a BookCrossing book! BookCrossing books are world travelers - they like to have adventures and make new friends...and every once in a while they even write home to say what they've been doing.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

From the Friends of the Aina Haina Library.

A lovely book with a lovely cover. I see that this book inspired a TV series as well, although they seem to have made a number of changes that I'm not sure I like.

A minor quibble: when Charley is thinking about all the people who've worked with sugar cane, she doesn't think of Asians...but quite a lot of people from Asia were connected with sugar in the US and in South America. Although none of them ever visited Louisiana, I believe all of my great-grandparents (and two of my great-great-grandparents) moved to Hawaii from Japan because of sugar cane.

Added to Mom's TBR stack.

Journal Entry 2 by winghyphen8wing at Mitsuba Delicatessen in Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, July 15, 2018

Released 10 mos ago (7/15/2018 UTC) at Mitsuba Delicatessen in Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Saturday, July 14, 2018: left outside under the musubi sign. (Larger photo here.)

Released for Secretariat's 2018 NJABBIC Challenge (week 28: books made into movies or TV shows) and Davros-10's 2018 TV Challenge.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm so glad you've found this book!

Please take a moment to make a journal entry and let this book's previous readers know that it's safe with you.

If you've ever wondered where your books go after they leave your hands, join BookCrossing and you may find out: you'll be able to follow your books as new readers make journal entries - sometimes from surprisingly far-flung locations.

BookCrossing: making the whole world a library!