Lullaby

by Leïla Slimani | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by winggreenbadgerwing of St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on 3/13/2018
Journal Entry 1 by winggreenbadgerwing from St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 13, 2018
A deeply disturbing book about two children who are murdered by their nanny. The murder happens in the first couple of pages and then the book goes back into the past, telling the story of Myriam's dream of returning to work, the search for the perfect nanny, Louise inserting herself into Myriam and Paul's lives and then the gradual cracks. It's well written and is very telling about modern society, with Myriam's dilemma (I notice there's no suggestion that Paul stays home), the difficult relationship across class differences, the traumatic past and growing problems of Louise. Not an enjoyable book but I don't think it's supposed to be!

Journal Entry 2 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Friday, May 11, 2018

Released 3 yrs ago (5/11/2018 UTC) at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom

Sent to Bookworm-lady as my RABCK for April. Enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 3 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Wednesday, May 16, 2018
Thank you sooo much for sending me this book; I am looking forward to reading it, as it seems disturbingly interesting.
Thanks for the lovely postcard, showing a painting by Claude Monet ("The Thames Below Westminster") that belonged to Lord Astor of Hever... Beautifully calm, I will place it where I can look at it while I work.
Thanks again! :)

Journal Entry 4 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Saturday, August 21, 2021
Currently reading it.

Journal Entry 5 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Sunday, August 22, 2021
This is a disturbing book, but at the same time a real page-turner.
Having worked as a nanny in North London for six years, this really rings a bell... of course, working conditions seem to be very different in Paris.
There are many loose threads, maybe intentional, in Louise's past... we only get glimpses of occasional violence (what happened to her daughter?), and a trend of being very caring and protective initially, followed by complete chaos.
It is not clear (at least to me) why she was about to be evicted from her flat and did not pay her taxes... out of neglect? She must have been paid for her full-time job. All this leads to the terrible ending, which is presented to us right from the beginning.
What is clear is the dilemma faced by Paul and Myriam... Louise makes their lives easier, undoubtedly, but after all she is a stranger in their house.
As I said, deeply disturbing, but very well written (it has been translated into English), and a portrait of a current situation lived by many families with children... and their nannies.
Soon to continue its travel; thanks for sharing, greenbadger. :)

Journal Entry 6 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Released 3 wks ago (9/21/2021 UTC) at Madrid, Madrid Spain

Sent as my replacement book for the Just One Word bookring... on its way to rodespringbal.

Journal Entry 7 by wingrodespringbalwing at Roosdaal, Vlaams-Brabant / Brabant Flamant Belgium on Saturday, September 25, 2021
Taken from the bookring 'just one word' as title