The Roaches Have No King (High Risk Books)

by Daniel Evan Weiss | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 3/12/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, March 12, 2018
I found this softcover at a local Goodwill thrift shop. It's from the viewpoint of one of the clan of roaches who dwell in a very messy apartment - and who feel they must take action when the apartment owner's love-life threatens to convert their home into a place that's much too clean and food-scrap-free for their taste...

The roaches from this clan were all reared in stacks of books, and each has taken some personality from the books they ingested while growing up. Our narrator started with the Old Testament and goes by the name of Numbers (not inappropriate for a roach!), with extra data derived from the Iliad.

The book's often very funny, mixing realistic roach behavior with (hopefully) unrealistic levels of intelligence and focus. Things often get gritty - er, crunchy - as the roaches achieve some goals by self-sacrifice, or are damaged/trapped/destroyed by the humans who seem reluctant to live and let live. The squeamish will probably bail fairly early in this book, and I admit I skimmed over some of the scenes, but the roaches themselves are fairly calm about the whole thing. That doesn't mean they don't have their differences; even within Numbers' clan there are disagreements, and when they encounter the huge waterbugs in the apartment down the hall it's clear that they're outmatched. But the main foes are the humans and their combination of chemical warfare, a well-aimed shoe, and - most importantly - the ability to keep their space so free of available food-scraps that it won't sustain a colony of roaches. [This is good news to humans who don't want pests, but it's rather sad for the protagonist and friends.]

By the end of the book, Numbers is attempting full-scale war, with massed attacks meant to shut off the power, and other scarily-believable plans. Things... don't go as expected, though...

Very odd book, one that I'd put in the "bizarro fiction" category, with a dark-humor, squicky (did I mention the scene where the roaches lurk under the toilet rim to analyze the humans' mood via output?), gruesome turn.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, May 03, 2018

Released 2 yrs ago (5/4/2018 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this to the Otherworldly bookbox, which will be on its way to its next stop soon. Enjoy!

*** Released for the 2018 Royalty release challenge. ***

Journal Entry 3 by wingnimrodielwing at Evanston, Illinois USA on Saturday, June 09, 2018
taken from the otheworldly book box.