The Calcutta Chromosome

by Amitav Ghosh | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 3/9/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, March 09, 2018
I got this slightly-battered paperback from the ongoing book-sale at the Nashua public library. It's an interesting mix of science fiction, medical mystery, and culture clash, with conspiracy theories in the mix (my least favorite part, as it happens). I enjoyed the idea of a not-too-distant-future society in which people work at cataloging random "found objects" via holographic internet feeds, and the intricate history of malaria research as presented here was worthy of a book or three on its own. The increasingly-hard-to-follow time-and-space shifts eventually wore me down, though, and several of the main characters weren't all that likable - including some who may have been the same person in different guises, one of the possible SF-or-is-it-magic aspects of the story. But the book conveys a wonderful sense of place, complete with sounds and smells and textures, and presents a nicely thorny research problem in among the other plot points, and if I wasn't content with the resolution, I enjoyed most of the journey.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Bridge Street (see notes) in Portsmouth, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, March 17, 2018

Released 9 mos ago (3/17/2018 UTC) at Bridge Street (see notes) in Portsmouth, New Hampshire USA

I plan to leave this book in or near the Bridge Street Bistro this evening; hope someone enjoys it!

Later: Left as planned, after a truly wonderful dinner in this charming bistro.

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Oh the Places We Can Go release challenge. ***