Cloud Atlas

by David Mitchell | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wingdark-dracowing of Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on 3/3/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingdark-dracowing from Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, March 03, 2018
To be honest, I'm still not sure what to make of this book - the first thing being what category to book it under. Parts of it fall into very different genres, SF, historical, crime, mystery - I suppose it depends on which part you identify with the most.

The book is very cleverly written - there are six stories, five of which are broken in two, with the second halves read in reverse order (it'll make sense when you read it). The first story is a diary written by an 18th century traveller in the pacific; the second, letters written by a composer to his gay lover; the third a murder/mystery/suspense involving a journalist and the cover-up of a potential nuclear disaster; the fourth a rather sad story of a publisher that gets tricked into an old people's home; the fifth a recording of a genetically engineered worker on the brink of ascension; the sixth an account of survival in a post-apocalyptic future. Each story isn't totally isolated from the others. The composer finds the pacific diary, the journalist buys the composer's music, the publisher is offered the murder mystery to sell, the clone watches the publisher's movie and the survivor worships the clone's memory. Yet the links are tenuous and leave you wanting much more. The only real link between the stories is that they explore how humanity uses power and where it may take you.

I liked the more Science fiction sounding stories and the murder mystery - the others were a bit boring!! I also was expecting something more from the book - the brief summing up at the end didn't do it for me. However, I did enjoy reading it and some parts will stick with me.

Journal Entry 2 by wingdark-dracowing at RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Monday, November 26, 2018

Released 1 mo ago (12/3/2018 UTC) at RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

MERRY CHRISTMAS
Here’s a special box of goodies from one booklover to another. I hope you enjoy reading your books and enjoying the Christmas candy.
HAVE A GREAT FESTIVE SEASON

Journal Entry 3 by Shahrun at Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom on Friday, December 07, 2018
Thank you so much for my amazingly Xmas Extravaganza RABCK package, containing amongst other things, this book from my Wish List. I shall do my best to get it read and moving again as soon as I can.