Penny Dreadfuls: Sensational Tales of Terror

by Various | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by emmejo of Cortland, New York USA on 3/1/2018
Journal Entry 1 by emmejo from Cortland, New York USA on Thursday, March 01, 2018
This good-looking collection is a nice array of well-known tales and some more unusual ones. Some were stories I'd read before, and some were new to me. The one odd decision was to include two stories significantly longer than the rest; the full texts of Frankenstein and The String of Pearls feel a bit out of place bookending the short stories.

Some of my favorites were:

In "The Wehr-Wolf" by Richard Thomson, the snarky humor and willingness to poke fun at self-proclaimed experts had me laughing more than you would expect from the tale of a town under siege by a werewolf.

The anonymously written "A Night in the Grave" also featured some humor, but had a more folktale feel to it. The writing style took a few pages to get used to, but once I had adapting, it helped convey the needed tone.

"Lost in a Pyramid" by Louisa May Alcott packs an interesting amount of character- and world-building into a few pages, and she effective writes tense scenes where the reader expects terrible events, but must watch the unsuspecting character continue their doomed path.

The sequence of tales E A T Hoffman's "Aurelia", "Wake Not the Dead!" by Johann Ludwig Tieck, and "The Dream-Woman" by Wilkie Collins allow a chance to compare an excellent of set of creepy, doomed romances, each playing on different tropes.

I also have to give an honorable mention to Frankenstein, which I read years ago and didn't think much of. This re-read was much more enjoyable for me, partly, I suspect, because already being familiar with the basics of the tale, I skipped passages that dragged on beyond my tolerance! As much as I like Mary Shelly's writing, I can only take so much hand-wringing while staring out a window for a lengthly description of the landscape to be understood as a reflection of a character's inner feelings.

Journal Entry 2 by emmejo at Trumansburg, New York USA on Friday, March 09, 2018

Released 2 yrs ago (3/9/2018 UTC) at Trumansburg, New York USA

One of the starting volumes in the Otherworldly (Shrinking) Bookbox

Journal Entry 3 by book_drunkard at Osgood, Indiana USA on Wednesday, March 14, 2018
What a beautiful book!
A perfect collection of tales for Horror-ween reading in October.
Gleefully removing from bookbox.