Glitterland (Spires)

by Alexis Hall | Gay & Lesbian |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 2/28/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, February 28, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed the audiobook, narrated by Nicholas Boulton, and wanted a hard copy to BookCross; ordered this one from Amazon.

The story's told in the first person by Ash, a writer whose career boomed and then busted, and who's coping with clinical depression and being bipolar - indeed, the book opens with him on the verge of a panic attack. His is not a comfortable head to be in, but when he's not in the throes of his mental illness he's very entertaining - if more than a little stuck up and not always nice about it. When he hooks up with a "glitter pirate" - a fake-tan-orange, gel-haired young fellow - at a party, it kicks off a very improbable relationship.

While some of the story arc is a bit predictable, I liked the way it all played out, and I appreciated the way that Ash's mental illness is presented - believable and scary, with lots of fallout in his personal and work relationships, and yet not without hope (as long as Ash doesn't go to extremes of denying the problem or hiding from everything). And Darian, the glitter-boy, is delightful - blatantly tacky, style-wise, yet with his own back-story and with a lot of inner resources. The conversations are hilarious, the sex is steamy, the interactions of the characters with their friends are revealing, the ups and downs of Ash's life are often wrenching, and there's a fine payoff.

Don't miss the bonus at the end, Darian's Nanny Dot's Cottage Pie recipe - as described by Darian himself: "3 garlics (bits, not whole garlics, donut)" and "mash [the potatoes] up wif the milk, the cheese (what you've grated earlier, you did grate it earlier, right?)..." Made me smile - and made me want to make the cottage pie {wry grin}.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, April 27, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (4/27/2018 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this to the LGBTQ+ Mini-Bookbox, which will be on its way to its next stop soon. Hope someone enjoys it!

Journal Entry 3 by wingReallyBookishwing at Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, May 04, 2018
This one arrived home in the LGBTQ+ Mini-Bookbox. Thanks for adding it, Gory! I think there is a good chance I will read this one before releasing it. It sounds interesting, isn't all that long, and was a finalist for a Lamda Literary Award... so I just might give it a go!

Journal Entry 4 by wingReallyBookishwing at Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, June 21, 2018
Hmm... okay, this was darker than I was anticipating. The title and cover art made me expect something of a "bubble gum" gay romance and this was not that. This book is gritty and raw and, yes, moving at times... but just not exactly what I thought I was picking up.

I appreciated the representation of a gay main character who struggles with mental health issues (not too many of those out there in bookland!) and the premise of the unlikely relationship was interesting. I'm not really familiar with Essex, but in my mind I was sort of equating it with the Jersey shore and the Londoner with someone from a place more like Cambridge, Massachusetts. ;)

Long story short, I'm glad this book is out there and I think it would really resonate with some readers, but I never fully connected with it.