Prince of Pieces

by Sam Miserendino | Graphic Novels |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 2/28/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, February 28, 2018
I found this... unusual graphic novel at a local Savers thrift shop. The premise: after 2,000 years of people missing his message, Jesus is really, really pissed off - and achieves the Second Coming as a flesh-hungry zombie!

The book opens with scenes of a grotesquely venal priest saying Mass - and then keeping one of the altar boys after the service. It's while he's abusing the boy that Jesus turns up, understandably furious and talking about sins that cannot be forgiven... and then he's off, on his roaring rampage of revenge.

The story touches on lots of church-related hypocrisy, from the wealth-obsessed televangelists to the individuals who talk the talk but have no intention of walking the walk. Most of the victims here seem to deserve their fates, though not all to the same degree, but once Jesus has a taste for bloody vengeance it seems he'll be tough to stop. Part of the satire is the (quite probably realistic) idea that if such a thing did hit the news it would make at least some of the televangelists even MORE popular, with the money rolling in to appease revenge-zombie-Jesus!

So... yeah. I appreciated the very dark satire and the gruesome slayings, and there were plot twists that surprised me. But I do think it rather lost the plot in the middle of all the "what's a good scene for zombie Jesus" bits.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, May 03, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (5/4/2018 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this to the Otherworldly bookbox, which will be on its way to its next stop soon. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by BookLovinMama at Arnold, Missouri USA on Sunday, December 16, 2018
I was the last in line for emmejo’s most recent Otherworldly book box. I didn’t realize the box was lost in my basement in August and only recently discovered as we were packing up items for the library. emmejo is in the process of moving so we agreed that I would pass along those that we won’t read. I apologize for not moving them along sooner!

Journal Entry 4 by BookLovinMama at Arnold, Missouri USA on Saturday, June 01, 2019
I appreciate the talent of the artist as this was formatted like a comic book. It was quick and easy to read.

As GoryDetails shared, this book follows the modern day hypocrisy of the church, really what we're seeing in the mainstream media today. It's the second coming of Christ, off to seek his revenge. Once he tastes blood, he cannot go back.

Released 3 wks ago (10/28/2019 UTC) at ~~~ ~~~ A Fellow BookCrosser ~~~ ~~~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

We're participated in several otherworldly book exchanges over the last two years. It's time to pass along some of the books that we've read so that they can continue the journey.