Forty Days Without Shadow: An Arctic Thriller

by Olivier Truc | Mystery & Thrillers |
ISBN: 145554759X Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 2/23/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, February 23, 2018
I got this good-condition softcover from an online seller, for another release copy. The book's set in northern Norway, and deals with the ancient culture of the Sami people - and the ongoing tensions in modern-day Scandinavia.

I enjoyed the story, with the interweaving of plot threads about a rare surviving Sami ritual drum - which may contain clues to a potentially-rich vein of ore - and of the odd-couple "reindeer police" team of aging Sami-heritage Klemet and youthful, enthusiastic Norwegian Nina. Other subplots come in, too - an old archaeological expedition, a sinister French geologist whose interest in young girls is very disturbing, and the lives of the reindeer-herders themselves...

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, March 12, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (3/12/2018 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this to the Indigenous Peoples bookbox. Hope someone enjoys it!

*** Released for the 2018 Oh the Places We Can Go release challenge. ***

Journal Entry 3 by rhythmbiscuit at Northglenn, Colorado USA on Monday, March 19, 2018
I'm intrigued by this novel. I'd like to know more about the Sami people.