Death Warmed Over: Funeral Food, Rituals, and Customs from Around the World

by Lisa Rogak | Nonfiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 2/16/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, February 16, 2018
I found this intriguing softcover at the Book Cellar. Since I've read lots of books about funeral practices around the world, I didn't find any new information here, but it was interesting to see the brief summaries of varied practices all listed along with recipes! OK, the author admits up front to using editorial license on many of these. If they were based on authentic funeral dishes that is mentioned, but sometimes ingredients are switched out - for the better, in some cases. And sometimes the recipe for a specific country doesn't really have anything to do with the culture or rituals, as in the Ancient Egyptian Chocolate Cake. Oh, sure, they'd probably have loved chocolate if they'd had it, but seriously, weren't there enough tasty Egyptian foods that could have been referenced?

Among the recipes I found most tempting were those for Haitian griots, and the Indonesian Rajak Nanas (a spicy pineapple salad). Among the least tempting - leaving out the ones that originally featured, um, remnants of the deceased - was "Protestant Funeral Sandwiches," an amusing nod to the whitest of white-bread dishes, complete with slices of American cheese and bologna. (I lived on those as a kid, but don't find them all that tempting now. I do take exception to their presence in a funeral-rituals book, though; more typical funeral fare would consist of casseroles, aka "hotdish". The section on Lutherans turns up a mention of hotdish, but the author doesn't seem to realize that Lutherans are among the many Protestant sects, and that "Protestant" isn't a religion all by itself - but then, this isn't meant to be an in-depth study.)

Interesting concept, but it could have been executed better!

Released 1 yr ago (3/15/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, 607 Chestnut St in Manchester, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Wine+Food Release Challenge. ***